vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

No they have sealer. It's a metal pate that is stamped in after coating and painting with it's bend over tabs as a permanent plug. They had the hole there for the draining of the EPD emulation after dipping in the factory. After all the painting is complete they press this plate in and cover it with unpainted seam sealer. The underneath is also sealed off by deadener.

If you have moisture or water in there, then your quarter windows are leaking. Most people drill a small hole in the plate to drain water, but as I said there is not meant to be water in there and the source is always leaking quarter window seals.

All my VN/VPs had sealer and they ones I have now never get water in there. My old vacationer leaked though. My nephew's VP is good, I resealed the quarter windows 3-4 year ago, dry as a bone and it lives out in the rain.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

Hmmm,

VQ no sealer and does not leak... mind you I will be re-sealing the rear windows shortly anyway as I have a broken rear window at present. VR SS brand new did not have sealer either, so not sure on that front. My VP was brand new two and did not have sealer. never leaked being brand new and was a company car so have no idea how ti was at the end of it. All my others including vb, vc,vh have not had either... so weird.

I just realised that I have owned every model commodore from vb to vr. Bloody hell i feel old. Skipped the VT/X next was VY and then VE I & II......hmmm should i get a VF? the agony!

Very interesting Vlad.

Cheers
oldn64
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Our VN was dry as a bone until the minor rear end and the subsequent panel work... :( The seal on the tail light did leak but that was an easy fix.

Roof lining never fell down either. Having said that, it was NZ assembled so that probably explains a lot!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

They took 4 seconds to fit it... :lol:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:Our VN was dry as a bone until the minor rear end and the subsequent panel work... :( The seal on the tail light did leak but that was an easy fix.

Roof lining never fell down either. Having said that, it was NZ assembled so that probably explains a lot!

Yeah Aussies have good rep of sloppy work and charging top dollar for it :lol: Also NZ roads can't possibly be as bad as aus ones, fuck our roads are horrific, not much lasts long term here if you actually use your car as a daily.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

VR sprayed on before painting.
IMG_0314.JPG

VP brushed on after painting.

IMG_0316.JPG
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

our roads are fairy shit, I guess the fact the car spent a lot of time in the garage probably did help save the roof liner. I know that Commodores that spent the majority of time outside in the sun certainly had a habit of coming down.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yeah heat doesn't help. I think moisture is the major issue with the board as they are card, but the heat is the killer of the foam.

The foam and fabric are easy to fix but the boards aren't so getting a good board is hard these days, especially VN/VP boards are often bad as being not secured in place they loose the shape and are hard to get back in shape.

I always go for VS boards as they often have good boards even if the foam goes to shit. You just need to cut out the hole for the mirror as VS have it on the glass as well as late VR.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Built a heater/AC control unit from 3 others as all had one thing wrong or another.

Just trying to find a NOS fan switch knob as this one has seen better days, markings worn off and faded.

IMG_0317.JPG

Painted these NOS fuse panel clips from black to blue/grey matched to the colour.

IMG_0319.JPG

Also cut out the 2 blanks and painted the NOS radio surround to satin black, it was an awful flat cheap looking black that didn't match the original black. Now it does.

IMG_0320.JPG

Rebuilt the A/C switch from 2 switches. Had the infamous ghost A/C. Finished the rest of the surround off.

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0323.JPG
B-UJ8gQCcAA2buN.jpg
B-UJ8gQCcAA2buN.jpg (32.22 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

yep. #mintas
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.