NBN providers

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

NBN providers

Post by pman92 »

Hey guys,
Who would you recommend as an NBN provider?

Have just built a new house and am looking to connect.

I understand the speed varies because different providers have different bandwidth limits?

The service would be fixed wireless and in central vic.

Thanks
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
Jayme

Re: NBN providers

Post by Jayme »

I have fixed wireless with the big evil (telstra) for 2 years and its fine honestly... its gone out twice and both times its been the whole street coz of an NBN tower problem or maintenence. both times telstra gave me a shedload of free mobile data to make up for it.
they recently upgraded me to unlimited data for no extra cost. I paid extra for the high speed upgrade on fixed wireless which bring it up to 40/15. downloads regularly 3-4 megabytes per sec. never had any slow speed issues.
I know a lot of people bash them but my experience has been fine and its handy having them as my mobile provider too as I can leverage free data during outages and they are always too happy to help especially when you put on the cranky customer act.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I ended up with Skymesh. I tried most of the other bigger ones but they limited bandwidth down to kb/s in the evening and had drop outs all the time.

Changed to them, more expensive but they have good service quality and fast speeds. On 50/20 fixed wireless.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
The1

Post by The1 »

ive been with internode for 15yrs now and now a year with FTTN and has been fine. Only other one i would check is maybe aussie broadband, i have heard they wont signup people if they dont have enough link bandwidth in your area to stop over subscribtion, so if you get on with them you should get good throughput all the time.
madmaxisback
cars: VN Calais
VK Berlina

Post by madmaxisback »

I'm on iiNet for last 20 years (TPG). I have been on NBN (HFC) for last 12months, touch wood its been great. 97 Mbps down/ 38 Mbps up and 8 ping. Slows down slightly Sunday night bout 8pm, but not really noticeable unless streaming 4k on two devices and check CCTV via web portal (never happens). Would check out Aussie Broadband if these guys lose the plot... :comp:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i'm with Exetel on NBN FTTH, its been fine, from memory im on the 25/12 and it does everything i need.

i dont really know how good exetel are compared to others, main reason for staying with them is they do all my domain hosting so it was just easier, that said i have no complaints.
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

I am with Aussie Broadband and also use this on alot of my customers sites. They are Australian, located in Morwell, you generally talk to the same tech everytime you need to. In the 6ish years (maybe a little longer) we have had them I have experienced 2 outages, both not the fault of Aussie.

One was a NBN switch overheat whihc took Shepparton offline, the other was a telstra route issue whihc effected everyone. (not just your own provider) Service is amazing and they are very helpful.

There can be a number of pit falls with this, but as a rule do not use telstra. The amount of issues I have seen and the congestion slowness they have is rediculous. They also sell a product called docs which is labelled as "NBN" You soon find out when you wish to move to another provider that it is not NBN and you then have a devils own job to get the right solution.

Happy to discuss with you further on this as to get it right (particularly for business) can be a field of misunderstanding. You may need to consider your phone as well if it is for the business. (I too can assist here)

Cheers
oldn64
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Aussie Broadband here and highly recommended
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

Aussie broadband HFC here and speeds are very good. 97/35 mbits pretty much any time I've checked. Support is Aussie based and pretty technical too not the usual "have you tried turning it on and off" type thing you'd get with an offshore call centre like Optus. Had Optus Cable pretty much since it came out - that was good till it was bought by Singtel then it was a downward spiral from then on.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I had the same thing with TPG and then moved to internode to get away from TPG owned ISPs which then went crap when TPG bought them out anyway in the end. Had some experience with telstra and optus and both were shit, especially telstra.

So far nearly 2 years on skymesh and the speeds have been much better over the others and they send you emails when they have outages and maintenance and detail what is going on which I only got denial anything was wrong from the previous ones where there were 3 day outages a few times a year. My mate is on exetel and he's had ok service, not as fast as they promised but still gets a reasonable 60mbit out of the 100 on the FTTN. I get 35-48 out of 50 most of the time on wireless. I was getting 0.3Mbit out of the last ISP on the same setup and tower and back haul.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.