holdens i have owned
TD,TE TG gemini
HBII LC4 UC x2 torana
VH Commodore
EH Special

Re: 1980 Alfa GTV fuel injection conversion - beginner quest

Post by barana »

Great to see ya back festy.
"Its alright for god, he doesnt drive a kingswood.Even the nuns only have toranas"-Ted Bullpit
Me:yeah,corse,God's a Holden man
Mate:whaaa?
Me:Psalm 83:15 so pursue them with your Tempest and terrify them with your Storm
A Holden & a pontiac
Lindsay.Palmer
cars: Minis and an 1980 Alfa Romeo gtv

Post by Lindsay.Palmer »

festy wrote:If it came out of an MPFI N13 Pulsar, you can be pretty sure it's an 808. I'm not sure what the code on that sticker is, but yours sounds about right because I just checked a couple of 808s and they have numbers starting with 95208L, 95215L etc.

Have you considered distributorless ignition, rather than trying to modify a distributor to fit?
Here's a pic of my GTV's ignition setup, there's not much to it. Make a template to mark out and grind the notches in the harmonic balancer, and knock up a bracket to hold a generic ABS wheel sensor. Use a D1927A ignition module and a pair commodore DFI coils.
Thank you very much for posting this information. I’ve had a bit of a break from this project as the clutch started to slip.

How many notches did you put in the harmonic balance?

How did you work out the notch position and spacing?

How do you wire the crank angle sensor and coils?

What model commodore do the coils come off?
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

Lindsay.Palmer wrote: Thank you very much for posting this information. I’ve had a bit of a break from this project as the clutch started to slip.

How many notches did you put in the harmonic balance?
You only need to cut 7 notches. The Alfetta harmonic balancer is nice thick cast iron, you could do it with an angle grinder and a steady hand.
How did you work out the notch position and spacing?
I took the template from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=128 and printed it out the same size as the balancer. I made the sensor bracket first, then with the engine on TDC I worked out where to position the template (see this post for the details)

That was how I did my first one - which worked fine. I got a bit fancier later when I got my rotary table, but there was nothing wrong with my first one made with the paper template.
How do you wire the crank angle sensor and coils?

Everything you need to know is in that thread. The coils mount to the D1927A ignition module just like on a commodore. The crank angle sensor (re-purposed ABS wheel sensor) connects to the D1927A ignition module.
What model commodore do the coils come off?
VN-VS 3.8L commodores (probably others too, I can't remember the specifics). They have 3 double ended coils mounted on the ignition module but you only need 2 of the coils.

And before you ask, no - there is no local 4cyl ignition module that you can use instead, it needs to be a D1927A or equivalent. They were used on the Chev S10, Beretta plus a few more US cars. Common as mud on ebay US, but you won't find one in your local supercheap...
If you look around, you should be able to get one for around $60 delivered from the US.

Lots of info on this forum about using these modules (and the 6cyl versions) with 808s for conversions, I'd definitely recommend it over hacking up a distributor.

For mounting the crank sensor bracket, I used the mechanical fuel pump mounts seeing as the pump was no longer being used (and the bracket doubled as a blanking plate) - there should be some pics of it somewhere in my build thread.

For a fuel pump, I used a VK commodore EFI pump which IIRC is the same pump as a VL, and also Alfa 75/90/GTV6 etc.
Lindsay.Palmer
cars: Minis and an 1980 Alfa Romeo gtv

Post by Lindsay.Palmer »

Festy, thank you very much for all the information.
barana
cars: mitz L300
holdens i have owned
TD,TE TG gemini
HBII LC4 UC x2 torana
VH Commodore
EH Special

Post by barana »

I bought one a few weeks ago,with eBay's international postage racquet ah I mean service, and eBay collecting gst for our gvt, if you get one cheaper than $77aud final cost, you're doing well.
"Its alright for god, he doesnt drive a kingswood.Even the nuns only have toranas"-Ted Bullpit
Me:yeah,corse,God's a Holden man
Mate:whaaa?
Me:Psalm 83:15 so pursue them with your Tempest and terrify them with your Storm
A Holden & a pontiac
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

that's bs what they are doing. Aside buying new from a ebay shop I can't understand how they can charge gst on a effectively private used item sale, from a casual seller that isn't running a business selling something 2nd hand in another country.

That is the same as you buying a used tool from a garage sale in Italy and then a politician comes out of the bushes and goes "that will be 10% thanks" the fuck is this shit! Literal theft that's what.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.