vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Soldering iron and retro hardware

Post by vlad01 »

Almost a big as a modern day GPU lol. Not as heavy though. I got mine prop'd up with a chopstick as it bent down over 20mm, that can't been good for the BGAs I got it straight now with that prop up at the rear corner. About 1.5Kg with water block and all. I had all kinds of stability issues after straightening it out, random artifacts, crashes, non boot ups etc... but seems ok now. I think the PCIe connectors weren't happy after being straighten after being twisted for so long.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Ken

Re: Soldering iron.

Post by Ken »

antus wrote:How about a SCSI Sony SDT-7000 DDS2 tape drive? 4/8 Gb - so 4 Gb uncompressed, bigger than a cdrom, nearly as much as a single sided dvd? :)
I've got a bunch of them buried somewhere too, found a floppy interface one for now.
Tape.JPG
I think it's safe to say I'm a wee bit of a hord** cough collector..
How much workshop space would I have without this rubble I often ask myself.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

2 other unused systems I got.

Dual Althon MP server board with aftermarket TT all copper coolers.

And my last main PC with what I call the graphics brick (3 way SLI). Based on Phenom II. Completely useless today, just so much hardware yet so slow I had to upgrade to something faster in the interim.

IMG_0732.JPG
IMG_0731.JPG
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Ken

Post by Ken »

vlad01 wrote:2 other unused systems I got.

Dual Althon MP server board with aftermarket TT all copper coolers.
The attachment IMG_0732.JPG is no longer available
The dual Athlon MP server I used for a couple of years served me well, with multiple connections it never really slowed down much that I could notice.
vlad01 wrote:And my last main PC with what I call the graphics brick (3 way SLI). Based on Phenom II. Completely useless today, just so much hardware yet so slow I had to upgrade to something faster in the interim.
The attachment IMG_0731.JPG is no longer available
Looks like a bunch of graphics, what was the bottleneck.

I've a few 5-1/4 floppy drives too if anyone needs any, threw a few new blank floppy sets in to fill the pic, the genuine software floppies would be 20 fold.
five_&_a_quarter.JPG
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

All of it, CPU and GPUs are too slow for my modern applications. Even the one I have now a GTX 980 with factory OC and water cooled is too slow as in my OC'd FX CPU.

Looking to upgrade either to Vega FE for the 16GB of vram or Navi when is comes out. CPU will be ryzen 3000s series which comes out in march-may and should navi.

The nvidia GPUs this round are disappointing and ludicrously priced. over 2k for a GPU?? they can get stuffed lol.

Radeon have released drivers few days ago or are about to that allow VRAM timing control. I am keen to move to the red team just for the fully unlocked GPU tweaking, everything but the basics is locked down on nvidia. Been a very long time since I used radeon but they are looking like a much better buy atm and for some time, not the outright fastest but best value for sure.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I'm an ati fan myself, not that nvidia has bad cards though, I've had a lot of bad luck with driver stability since my first nvidia card in 99, still got that too, box-n-all.
gforce 2mx400.
Mame didn't seem to perform any better than it did with the old 16mb ati card I pulled out, would frame skip in some games, was running a K6-3/450 128mb ram
Was in a Gigabyte GA5AX Rev:5.2, back then it was the most over clockable Soc7 system of all time regarding stability, people were running their K6-550's way over 900mhz stable.
Still got that board too, and the manual and driver CD.
Did I happen to mention I have a hard time throwing things away if they still work.

Anyone ever use the old Dos file manager xtree gold.
xtree.JPG
xtree.JPG (70 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Both Ati (AMD now) and nvidia made good and bad cards. Nvidia made great geforce 6, 8 and maxwell/pascal series. Ati/AMD did great with 9000 series, x800 series, HD series and Polaris.

My last Ati card was a 9200SE, it was shit lol. But every other time I upgraded nvidia just by chance had the better card, this time it will be AMD as the nvidia cards now are shite, still fast but shit in every other way. Limited and locked, hot, power hungry, some failures above normal rates, shit drivers, useless ray tracking features and worst of all stupid prices. My personal dislike, limited vram as it's the same with the previous gen.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Sounds like you'd be a gamer, my rig doesn't get much more load than IDA or PE Explorer disassembling whatever I'm into for the moment.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

xtg v2.5 ... use v3.0 just about daily, I have an original v3.0 still _in_ the box ... What an Incredible piece of software!

Gosh I wish I had some pics, for my own remembering if nothing else, have the goods to take pictures of, it's just to hard for me to get to the shed let alone in it and diggin about, probably never gonna see any of it again.
It's all gonna wind up in a dumpster by someone that has NO CLUE as to the history of the items. Somethings probably worth some bux, possibly big bux.
Probably a few pounds of gold in them their boxes after boxes of boards.

I have my very first computer and everything since. I started on a trash 80 III in 82.
Yup, I often wonder how much better off I'd be if I didn't have the 16x20 shed stuffed full of history!
Especially now that I can't enjoy any of it.

Commodores, Apples, 8086's, 8088's, 286's, Compaq Portable 286, Floppy drive, Hard drives, cards, modems I could go on all day, all the way up to about 1996, then life changed!
Yup, was in the biz, also a bit of a collector.

O the memories ... Just what I didn't need.

Thanks
: )_~
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

wow that was a trip down memory lane!