Torana SS

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Holden202T

Re: Torana SS

Post by Holden202T »

i'e had a torana with a manual hydraulic conversion so i can appreciate what you've achieved here! :)
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

Well the clutch has been really good so far, you have to be aware of the engagement point but otherwise you'd think it was just a standard unit. It definitely has a lot better holding power, it doesn't slip unless you want it to.

Did an 800km day trip last weekend with four people in the car, performed flawlessly and got somewhere around 12.5-13L/100km fuel economy.

Had a run on the drag strip a few weeks ago, couldn't seem to get a good launch and was just spinning the tyres all through first gear with 2.0+ second 60 foot times for low 13 second passes. Tried again Saturday just gone and got more adventurous with lower tyre pressure, longer burnouts and trying to be a bit less aggressive on the launches (it will still spin them if you get carried away). That along with a really good track dropped the 60 foot into the 1.7s for the first time, ran a few 12.9s at 105-107mph. Yeah it could be faster if I set it up but pretty happy with that for a stiff suspension manual street car, daily driver.

(Photo credit - https://www.facebook.com/Prawnographic- ... 661322076/)
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Look at that squat and tire wall :afro: :punk: :thumbup:
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

:punk:
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

So the car never had a radio antenna and like many I'm not too keen on cutting holes in the roof or guards to install one. I got one of those shark-fin-type powered ones and put it inside, but it never really worked too well when moving, which kind of defeats the point.

Then I had a thought, with the XA side mirrors there is a fair bit of empty space in there. So I pulled the antenna apart and threw away the bulky parts, soldered on an earth wire and covered the lot in hot glue. It now resides in the driver side mirror housing.

Reception probably still isn't quite as good as a proper aerial but it works in most areas.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Got a telescoping antenna under te dash horizontal or under the parcel tray works pretty good its how I do boats as well to keep the fm antenna out of the way
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

Oops.

Looks like I will be changing to dual valve springs sooner than anticipated.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Bugger. At least it didn't drop the valve.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

It’s hard to say from those picks but is that coil bind? Looks to be marks on opposing coils??

Either way, bummer :?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

No it wasn't binding, checked all that carefully at assembly time as usual and the springs have done around 7,000km now. It did happen in the middle of nowhere with no phone reception so limped along for a bit once I figured out it wasn't a major disaster rather than leave the car somewhere, didn't do the spring any favours but it was already buggered :-)