cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Can't link to Gen 3 ECU with OBD2

Post by Charlescrown »

I was of the impression that all Gen3 engines are OBD2 but can't get a generic bluetooth unit to link with the ECU. The unit works fine on other cars but not this VY. Anyone know why?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Can't link to Gen 3 ECU with OBD2

Post by antus »

ls1? on 512kb or 1mb pcms? yes they are. Check the power and ground pins, and the VPW data pin are all present, clean and making a good connection. it could also be a fault in the units vpw circuitry if everything else you've tested with is CAN bus.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Charlescrown wrote:I was of the impression that all Gen3 engines are OBD2 but can't get a generic bluetooth unit to link with the ECU. The unit works fine on other cars but not this VY. Anyone know why?
Alot of the generic bluetooth units do not have the required protocol (VPW) for the Gen3 (LS1) engines built into the devices. Some of the better and bigger style bluetooth units (Like full elm style case units) will support and work.

Also, next issue is whether the software you are using supports the VPW protocol as well.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Really? No VPW in the latest units? Wow even the low quality $8 ones I was seeing a year or two ago had the vpw hardware. They had really bad soldering and the BT module was often not soldered to the main board, but at least they had tried to include the right protocols! For the time lost on the cheap modules, your really better off spending a little more for an allpro or an obdlink sx.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I'll have to check that one. I can scan the car fine with my Autel MD802 but not with the bluetooth so it's probably not going to be a connection problem. I am using Torque Lite maybe that's where the problem lies.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

antus wrote:Really? No VPW in the latest units? Wow even the low quality $8 ones I was seeing a year or two ago had the vpw hardware. They had really bad soldering and the BT module was often not soldered to the main board, but at least they had tried to include the right protocols! For the time lost on the cheap modules, your really better off spending a little more for an allpro or an obdlink sx.
Yeah! Saves on space, and reduction of cost for no regulator+transistors+resistors for the circuit would reduce cost a bit... even if its something thats already cheap.

Id assume they work off of the cost per 10k units... so saving 50cents.. is like saving 5k for them... or 5k more in their pockets.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726