FX Holden Race Car Project

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
gibbo
cars: Fx Holden, Hilux 4wd VS V6 4l60-e LPG

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by gibbo »

Good to see you back into it. It's hard with little kids, I used to work on the car when they all went to bed.
firebug
cars: Pathfinder Ti 550, L67 Gemini

Post by firebug »

Noice work Sammy!
"My favourite colour of the alphabet is 3!"
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

After seeing the Rivnut tool I just has to get one. The best part came when I ordered 100 nuts on ebay and got sent 500. Should do me for some time.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Charlescrown wrote:After seeing the Rivnut tool I just has to get one. The best part came when I ordered 100 nuts on ebay and got sent 500. Should do me for some time.
It is a nice tool. I had similar luck recently. Ordered 5 eproms and got 10 :)
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i usually dont feel like going out to the shed after Claires asleep, and often what i need to do is not quiet jobs, or recently its been too fucking hot! hopefully that will improve soon!

and yeah the rivnut tool is well worth the money!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

For christmas i got a super cheap auto gift card, so i made use of it by purchasing some automotive seal sealer, gave it a bit of a test run in the boot, geez its messy shit to work with lol
IMG_0348.JPG
IMG_0348.JPG (79.73 KiB) Viewed 3583 times
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

its been a long time coming for this diff, but i have got the money there for axles now and that was the last piece of the puzzle, so i thought i should get stuck into the diff shortening so i could work out when lengths the axles needed to be.

a friend borrowed a diff to use for working out how much to shorten his to fit into a VP so he cut shortrened and welded the ends back on, and once he was finished i got it to use for my setup which is much shorter so there was still enough left on the ends of the diff tubes.

so i spent what seemed like hours cutting all the mounts off and then grinding back what was left. i knew i needed to make it 4 inch narrower each side compared to the diff that was in the car, and i also wanted to get the yoke in the centre of the car, so i measured ten times and i think i finally got all the offsets right, i also had to take into account the approx 35mm for the weld on ends, and had to make sure they had the same depth in the ends for the bearing seats and so on and so forth.

so its finally cut at where i hope is going to be the right lengths, the plan now is to dummy it up in the car with the 4 link plates and weld on ends all tack welded on, just to make sure its actually right before i go and finalise all the welding.
IMG_1289.JPG
these weld on ends look really nice, and for $90 i think it was, saves alot of time and effort!
IMG_1291.JPG
IMG_1291.JPG (216.96 KiB) Viewed 3378 times
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

noice!
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Looks good, what size axles, 28, 31 or bigger?
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

31 spline.