Emulation on moates ostrich 2

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
upyas
cars: vy s

Emulation on moates ostrich 2

Post by upyas »

Hey guys

Love the site.

Was wondering, has anyone ever been able to emulate a vn/vp 16kb bin with tunerpro and moates ostrich 2.0?

No matter what i do i just cannot get it to emulate, i can burn the same bin file to a sst 512 and it works fine.

Every time i try emulate with the emulater i get the engine light on and it goes into the rich fueling mode.

I am running bank 0 which is what is suggested for that eprom, and also i have to reset the ostrich and no go.

When i do a verify its all good, have even tried a socket booster.

cheers guys
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Emulation on moates ostrich 2

Post by vlad01 »

I am guessing probably timing. 808 needs under 100ns response so that might be an issue trying to emulate. Otherwise it might be the starting address, it's not 0 on the 808, its FFFF if I recall correctly so the code needs the right offset if the size isn't stock.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
upyas

Post by upyas »

found this on ostrich site.

---
We have NOT performed extensive testing to determine the fastest access time for the Ostrich2, but we estimate that it is in the 65-80ns range. 90s is 100% safe.
--

and...

--
Power Consumption
User Jon Sole was kind enough to share this information with us. Jon measured the Ostrich 2 drawing about 71mA of power with USB disconnected in his application (3S-GTE) versus 16mA with USB connected and supplying power.
While trying to use the Ostrich on a 3S-GTE platform, Jon discovered that the ECU would freak out and land in limp mode with USB disconnected but run fine with USB connected. Suspecting that the difference in power draw between an ordinary EPROM and the Ostrich was the culprit, Jon is going to try an provide a secondary 5V power supply for the Ostrich to hopefully allow the Ostrich to be used with USB disconnected without the ECU revolting.--

The last few times i was testing was without the usb connected, never needed it on Nissan ecu's.. I might try that to start with.

So you think tunerpro is putting the bin file in the wrong part of the memory on the ostrich? I cannot see anywhere that it can be changed.

I will look around more
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

yeah 16kb file, and a 512kbit is 64kbyte, and it needs to be mapped to the top. So lets do the maths:

16*1024=16384 byte bin
64-16=48k of filler required to put it at the top of the chip.
48*1024=49152 bytes of filler

So your offset is 49152 in decimal, or 0xC000 or $C000 in hex depending what type of number the ostrich is looking for.

If you cant set an offset, stack it 4 times in tunerpro - 16*4=64kbyte, so the bottom 3 copies are your filler and your file ends up 64k with no offset required.

I have heard of problems logging and emulating at the same time with moats, not sure what the problem was there. See how you go.

Some features use nvram like normal ram and wont work as the pcm cant write to the ostrich. This is knock logging and write commands over ALDL.

Keep your socket cables reasonably short.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
upyas

Post by upyas »

Thanks for the reply antus

I was wondering if i buy one of the nvram conversions and convert a stock ecu can i use it on a stock ecu without the logging mod?

Just so I can use that ecu to tune and then when its finished i can write the memcal to the unmodified ecu.

I got 2 cars to do atm, vn/vp 808's
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yes you can. Thats the recommended way to do it. Once the tuning is complete write the file to a memcal and run that in the car. As there is no RAM function it runs fine on a completely unmodified ECM. Note that you are running 12P you will need to replace the eprom on the memcal with a larger one though (32k or 64k stacked). Generally people use a eeprom, and buy one of the1's adaptors (or make one from vero board) so they can plug the whole memcal in the programmer and update the tune whenever they need without having to mess around with a uv eraser.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
upyas

Post by upyas »

ive got some moates adapters so i can burn without removing the eprom
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

When uploading with tunerpro you need to make sure it's set to bank8, then make sure the switches on the ostrich are set to 28pin(i think thats what it is for 808).
I've had my ostrich working on 808's many times so long as it's uploaded & set correct & using the correct adapter/cable!
upyas

Post by upyas »

il try bank 8 again
upyas

Post by upyas »

I tried to use a ose12p bin on my modified ecu (coms board) and i burnt the bin to a eprom or when using a emulator the car starts for half a second then stops.
im pretty sure its not in limp mode because the engine light goes out when it starts

any ideas?

im using the ose12p v8 (not stacked if i use stacked it goes in limp fuel mode and starts)