What to do with an old flogged out VZ SV6 Ute

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
v6bucket

Re: What to do with an old flogged out VZ SV6 Ute

Post by v6bucket »

Not having played with turbo's a great deal, do you have some way to combat turbo lag with the turbo at the rear with a small engine? or being a track car it shouldn't matter once you get it on the boil.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Being an auto i wouldn't expect there to much if any lag at all..
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well the answer is i have no idea haha, i know when you stand on this thing normally the revs go up a fair way with the stock converter, so i guess that would have to help, i also dont exactly know how the sizing of this turbo fits the 3.6L motor, however if my brothers 3.8L v6 is anything indication i would suggest it should start making boost around 2000rpm ....

from what i've read the big concern with rear mounted turbos is lag but in reality its not as bad as people think it will be, but thats one of the big reasons i want to try a rear mount turbo to get some experience with it.

if the car lasts long enough to do anything with it might see a run down the strip but id say that will be about it, and in that instance lag probably wont have much of an effect, no more than the 2.78 diff gears anyways :P
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yeah I wonder is that a thing with alloytecs, I could stall my old adventra alloytec up to over 2000 rpm, they must have a higher stall converter than the old ecotecs.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah they definitely do, i reckon they are made that way to help get the big heavy fuckers off the line, but then in like 3rd or whatever it is the converter locks so no issue with fuel wasting.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Got a lot of bits finished, seat bracket is now all welded together, the 32lb injectors are in, and leak fixed! (think it had a dodgy seal)

i've also aquired some 3 inch pipe to finish the dump pipe.
IMG_0646.jpg
IMG_0644.jpg
IMG_0644.jpg (293.87 KiB) Viewed 4173 times
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

So i got to give the car a naturally aspirated run up the road and back before loading it onto the trailer to go back to my brothers place.

I wanted to see what the fuelling was like after the injector change, see how the trans shift mods went and also to make sure it actually went how it should after the timing kit work.
vcm log.jpg
Its no world beater but its going how it used to again, and at least the 1->2 shift was nice and firm, unfortunately couldn't get a real long run but its better than nothing.

i need to fix a few sensors though, TPS is useless, and im not actually sure if the spark timing is working or not, it didn't drive like it had retarded timing!

i was interested to see though the engine v's trans input shaft RPM's, i will make a calc for these to show slip, and its handy to see the oil pressure too, this will be good to have once the turbo is on it.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Cool, so far so good!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

The TPS issue is interesting, what do you think is the go there and why isn't it reporting as a fault???
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

no theres like 5 options for TPS, its probably just the wrong one for this ..... same with spark.... no dtcs anymore!

forgot to take my hpt cble to my brothers, i was going to run it up the road then do a skid, so i just skipped the run up the road.

and so this happened

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBMPMY0lohE[/youtube]

for the record, this is basically a stock alloytec, torque management removed and no last muffler, oh and 32lb injectors (which make no difference yet)