VZ LS1 engine loom to body connector

Wiring diagrams and questions
Hano_03
cars: VZ sv8
E36 325i Compact

VZ LS1 engine loom to body connector

Post by Hano_03 »

Hi,
Does anyone have, or can point me in the right direction for a drawing of the Body side of the main engine to body connector for a VZ SV8 sedan.
I am putting a VY LS1 and T56 into a vz sedan body and the plugs are different, the schematics in the gregorys/ellery manuals don't go into this detail.
Also the drawing in the VY/VZ connector post is different to my sedan one. mine is a 26 pin connector with a black swivel locking tab.
I will try to upload a picture tonight.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: VZ LS1 engine loom to body connector

Post by Dylan »

Fit the VZ throttle body and run a VZ manual loom.
As you've seen the body connections are very different.

Lucky for you the VZ looms are usually a bit cheaper as they aren't very wanted second hand.
Hano_03
E36 325i Compact

Post by Hano_03 »

Hi,
its a race car project so I want to run a cable throttle, I have swapped most of the wiring over already, I just have start no run problem that I need to trace out and need to know what the extra wires are for. It tries to start but pops and farts and misses, and will not run, I have fuel and spark.
Hano_03
E36 325i Compact

Post by Hano_03 »

IMG_2019.jpg
IMG_2019.jpg (56.71 KiB) Viewed 5660 times
Attachments
IMG_2020.jpg
IMG_2020.jpg (64.49 KiB) Viewed 5660 times
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

It might be best to get a data logger on to it and see what the computer is reporting. if its that close to running you might just have a plain wiring problem somewhere and the computer might point you straight to it. An obddiag.net allpro usb would be one option (and will very soon be able to flash the 1mbyte computer too) or the obdlink sx will be a slower flash and is a bit more expensive but it is also commonly available.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Is it different to the one I posted in the PDF here?:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5982

Even if it is different, the wire colors may help you. They all all pretty much the same colors between the VT/VX triple connectors and single large white VY connector.
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
Hano_03
E36 325i Compact

Post by Hano_03 »

Hi pman92,
yes it was different, but, I used your drawing (which was the same as my engine side) and extracted the the same circuits from the VZ body plug and installed them into a VY body side plug from the wreckers. (just swapped the pins over).
Turns out all the extra wires are just not needed, and I left them in the original VZ plug, and tied it up under the glovebox.(must be for electronic throttle/traction control etc, and I just done need them for this race car project.

All good, or so I thought..... Turns out the engine control relay ground is different between VY and VZ, no ground means no energised relay, means no 12V power to ignition/injection plugs on the coil packs/injectors. I think that the VY ECR is ground direct to chassis and the VZ is ground through the BCM. so once i converted that back to VY spec all good.

Then I found another difference between the models, the VY engine loom has the PCM ground run back over to the battery/relay side of the engine bay,and it is the brown wire in the plug with the purple start wire from the start relay and i completely missed that when i did the wiring.

So with all that sorted it finally roared into life tonight :punk:
I still have some small issues to sort as the alternator wiring is also different as the PCM controls it in the VZ, and my running gear is all VY.

So in summary, can you put VY running gear into a VZ body.......YES
Is it easy..............................................................................NO
VT II to VY very similar VZ however has way more things different than just fly by wire