PCM Hammer P01 and P59 flash tool v015

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Gampy

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by Gampy »

Naw, you don't need the source, unless you plan to install Microsoft Visual Studio and make modifications.
You just need what is in the one file Pcmhammer???.zip.

Personally, I am more inclined to suspect the MDI2's over the bench harness. I cannot imagine anyone kludging together a harness more then I and it works fine ...
Wires twisted together, alligator clips and masking tape! And NO I WILL not show a picture of it ... I have more pride then that.
One of these days I'll solder it all up and then maybe, just maybe I'll box it up and make it fancy. NOT!

I will volunteer building a reduced buffer test build if you would like and they (Antus and NSFW) have no issue with it ... I have the setup and time.
But I'm here to support them, It is their wishes that I'll abide by!

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

JonnyB, are you using an actual OEM MDI, or a clone?

Gampy, feel free to test changes, it would be interesting to see if a smaller buffer makes it more reliable. Especially if you have the same device and are seeing the same failure.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I'm pretty sure we have established that I have no issues playing in the code ... I do not, I'm in it every day!

Where my concern lies is providing someone like JonnyB a pre built binary modified for a specific test.

I do not want to step on any toes! I do enough of that with poor communication skills, I don't need to do it intentionally!

And not to sound like an ass, and that is exactly what it sounds like ... But if I had the hardware I would have already done so. And that you can go to the bank on!

[edit]
HOLY FREAK! I just looked up the MDI2 ... Nope not gonna buy it just to test PcmHammer with. Sorry!
[/edit]

-Enjoy

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

You can build test copies for another user thats fine. But please change the version string to something to indicate its a test copy. Something like "small-buffer-test-version-2019-02-10" would be good. That way it never ends up getting passed off as the official copy, and if anyone using it posts logs we can see what version they are from.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Gampy wrote: HOLY FREAK! I just looked up the MDI2 ... Nope not gonna buy it just to test PcmHammer with. Sorry!
There are clones for $125 or so, if I remember right. I've heard they work well but I haven't tried one myself.

I suspect Jonny's is the real deal, though.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Release #5 is up, with fixes for the AVT issues:

https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/PcmHacks/ ... 9.02.09.01
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

antus wrote:You can build test copies for another user thats fine. But please change the version string to something to indicate its a test copy. Something like "small-buffer-test-version-2019-02-10" would be good. That way it never ends up getting passed off as the official copy, and if anyone using it posts logs we can see what version they are from.
Gotcha, Understood.
NSFW wrote: There are clones for $125 or so, if I remember right. I've heard they work well but I haven't tried one myself.

I suspect Jonny's is the real deal, though.
That I would do easy peasy, facts of the matter are, if a genuine one was really needed, I would buy ... I am that dedicated to this project!
Personally, I try to stay away from clones, been bit too many times.

However, I believe we can work together to see if the issue can be resolved without doing so.

-Enjoy

JonnyB
cars: 83 Ford Ranger, a friend's 91 Mustang that I'll be ls swapping with him (more like for him) and my daily driver 03 Silverado 2500hd rust bucket, lastly an lm7, lq4, and ly6 on stands

Post by JonnyB »

Thanks everyone for the help. I believe the MDI2's are oem but I'll have to look deep at any differences come monday. I have a terrible suspicion the pcm is faulty. I didnt personally pull it from a running unmolested vehicle, I grabbed it for 49.95 on ebay. I have 2 P59's from retired work vans from my last job, but hacking them is obviously down the road. The reason I think the 0411 is faulty is because I have a real basic scantool I almost forgot about that'll read vin, codes, clear codes, and check monitor status. This tool works quickly with the p59's hooked up with the same harness, or any car I'd connect to, but on the 0411 its slow or even unresponsive at times. Again, thx for everyone help, intellect etc. I'll keep the pcm handy in case there are other things to try later with it. I need to sleep on this :)
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

JonnyB wrote:I have 2 P59's from retired work vans from my last job, but hacking them is obviously down the road.
This tool works quickly with the p59's hooked up with the same harness, or any car I'd connect to, but on the 0411 its slow or even unresponsive at times.
Curiosity has me ... Why hacking the P59's is 'obviously down the road'?

I suspect you are correct with that 411 being faulty.

-Enjoy

JonnyB
cars: 83 Ford Ranger, a friend's 91 Mustang that I'll be ls swapping with him (more like for him) and my daily driver 03 Silverado 2500hd rust bucket, lastly an lm7, lq4, and ly6 on stands

Post by JonnyB »

I thought from what I've heard that the p59s arent supported yet, or can only be read. Ive only tried it once or twice but it failed to unlock. Itll be monday before I can try again for debug logs. I really need to get my own interface :) I was happy to know p59 support in the works because prior to buying the dud, I had only the two p59s. I gambled and may have lost with the 411 to get something going with a vats delete. I got impatient :)