SoullessShadow
cars: Ba Futura Wagon - Been turboed since 2009
3 x Celica GT4s 1 is a Group A
ST141 Corona - 3sgte swap is planned
EP71 Toyota Starlet Turbo S
A few e36 BMW's

Re: New NVRAM setup

Post by SoullessShadow »

Update: Postage was super fast from darkwire arrived yesterday. last night i managed to burn a fresh stacked .bin onto the nvram. Heading out to the car tonight to see if i have live comms etc working again once that is confirmed i was going to use the flashtool to upload the .cal that i updated to v1.12 and see what happens from there i guess
SoullessShadow
A few e36 BMW's

Post by SoullessShadow »

Well been out the car and had some success much closer yet so far...

After putting the fresh copy of 12P onto the nvram i was able to get comms and receive live data again - Good news

I then went into the flash tool and went to upload the .cal i changed to v1.12. it come up with file size not as expected. .cal off the nvram was 32kb the one i got from the original .bin is 64kb. I didnt really know what to do from there.
I flashed the cal anyway and it said was succesful.

After this i was still able to connect to the ecm and see live data so i tried to start the car and of course it started and ran but as soon as it fired it lost comms and got heaps of data errors and froze...
So i tried another usb cable and reconnected to the ecm and tried again this time it seemed like it was working. Had live data while the engine was running could see the bubble trace moving when i revved the engine etc. Then just randomly it stopped and and lost connection. I was taking a log and that looks okay and just stops when it lost comms.
I tried both cables back and forth and still had this problem. Its a completely random amount of time it takes to lose connection can happen as soon as the engine starts or after 2 to 3 mins.
i havent been able to change any of the tables while emulating while its all working either.

One thing that just realized aswell and now feel really stupid for not noticing earlier is the .adx file i using was vr_$12_v1.03 TP5 i have no idea when i changed it to that but should i be using OSE_$12PV112_1BAR-Methanol?? the car is methanol and i thought thats what i had loaded up....whoops

Im guessing that may not be helping so could it be that? or Could it be caused by the different file size of the .cal?

Sorry for the long post
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

Well, the ADX just tells TP how to talk to the ECU and interpret its Cal data and such. It wouldn't be writing anything, so even if it's the wrong one, it shouldn't stop things running. The "V112" in the second ADX filename suggests it's the one you need.

Your cable-ECU comm's doesn't seem reliable, so corrupted messages sent to the ECU might crash it, but I'd think there should be a checksum or CRC to reject almost all such corrupted messages, so this should be a rare event. Maybe you have a loose connection with your NVRAM setup?

Edit: Yep, there's a checksum byte at the end of messages :
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=219&start=20#p23452

Joe.
Last edited by j_ds_au on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

check the laptop doesn't have a stop hdd when you bump it function
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yes use 12p methanol adx is good.

The original read isnt right 12p is only 32k. But if you pick the wrong size and read 64k you get the 32k file twice and its not really a problem so long as you dont end up with some software that uses the first copy and some that uses the second. Uploading the first 32k or the calibration from the first 32k (which is also the part tunerpro would have been editing) is fine.

Agree the cable or electrics sounds sus and as jenko says for a while there a bunch of laptops did come out with that feature that caused people problems with spinning hard disks in viabration prone environements until they turned it off. That comment was a good call.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
SoullessShadow
A few e36 BMW's

Post by SoullessShadow »

Ok I'll see what's going on with the cal and try to get it the right size eventhough that doesnt seem like the problem.

Ok well I will recheck all the solder joints in the ecm and make sure thats all okay.
I've tried 2 usb cables I'll try a 3rd one. I will get tp5 rt running on another laptop and try that I guess.
The laptop I'm currently using is my dedicated tuning laptop. I've never had any problems with comms like this before with it. Its older because I need one with a com port as some aftermarket ecus dont like usb to com port adaptors.
Thanks guys I will keep plugging away at it
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Try a usb cable with a ferrite bead in it.

Also make sure ECU and engine is earthed properly. It will be noise from the high voltage ignition system causing the problems
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Check its got resistor plugs in the engine someone may have fitted non resistor plugs to try fire the methanol better .reflash the nvram again fit it reload your cal and uninstall the write jumper and load the correct xdf and add and get it logging properly with no errors .once it's all stable add the write jumper and start it back up and confirm its stable just logging while running up the engine .if it's all good click enable emulation and start tweaking
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
SoullessShadow
A few e36 BMW's

Post by SoullessShadow »

UPDATE

delcowizzid was spot on the money. They had non resisted plugs in. Changed to resisted plugs and worked no problems at all after starting fresh with the nvram again. Should of trusted myself that i was doing things right and checked the plugs myself when i asked what they were.
Thank you to everyone for their input and help