PCM Hammer - Support for BAFX Bluetooth interface

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

PCM Hammer - Support for BAFX Bluetooth interface

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all,

NSFW, Antus, et al
I was wondering if it would be possible to add support for the BAFX Bluetooth Device. I bought mine to allow the use of Torque Pro on a Samsung Galaxy Note8 - works great.
It is an ELM 327 clone (showing to be version 1.5 though the ELM ID apps on the Google Play Store all indicate that it only supports up to v 1.4) that happens to be one of the most well regarded devices in its price range (21.00) according to most reviews.
If you would be willing to enable its use, I would be willing to test it on the 2 0411 PCM's that I have. Plus, I want to see if it will ID the PCM in my 2004 Olds Alero.
If this is something you could do, I would be much appreciative. If not, then thanks anyway, you have done an awesome job!

Mike
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: PCM Hammer - Support for BAFX Bluetooth interface

Post by antus »

Elms are not supported, due to hardware limitations. They need long packet support which they were not designed for. The only elm style devices that can do it are alternate implementations with chips with extended capabilities such as allpro usb or obdlink scantool sx/mx. Allpro has an open source firmware which we extended to add long packets and vpw 4x support which was then improved and merged in to the main firmware by its author. And the obdlink devices have the stn chips by scantool.net which they improved and sell as next generation elms.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
160plus

Post by 160plus »

MudDuck514 wrote:Hi all,

NSFW, Antus, et al
I was wondering if it would be possible to add support for the BAFX Bluetooth Device. I bought mine to allow the use of Torque Pro on a Samsung Galaxy Note8 - works great.
It is an ELM 327 clone (showing to be version 1.5 though the ELM ID apps on the Google Play Store all indicate that it only supports up to v 1.4) that happens to be one of the most well regarded devices in its price range (21.00) according to most reviews.
If you would be willing to enable its use, I would be willing to test it on the 2 0411 PCM's that I have. Plus, I want to see if it will ID the PCM in my 2004 Olds Alero.
If this is something you could do, I would be much appreciative. If not, then thanks anyway, you have done an awesome job!

Mike
I spent a good bit of time working with one of these devices last spring and they are flat out not capable. It has nothing to do with the reported Elm version or a specific device being blocked. That particular adapter just doesn't have a buffer large enough to even transmit a block request message. Off the top of my head the device only has a 15 character buffer. To request a 1 byte block you would need a buffer of at least 16 characters, meaning the device just isn't physically capable.
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Thanks for the reply. Pete.
I THOUGHT that I read something along those lines, but could NOT remember WHAT the limitation was.

Mike