Wiring diagrams and questions
Madmatt2006
cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

VZ Ute speedo not working

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Hi Guy's :)

back again with a different problem, I finally got the ute to a point that it's now all working except the speedo! :hmm: neither the dial or digital,I have checked a few things.

1. I did the dash test on the car by holding the mode/set buttons and did the cluster check, the speedo popped up to 100 so it seems to be ok. :thumbup:
2. I tested the voltage to the speed sensor in the 6 speed manual it has 12V to pin 1. and pin 2. negative

the speed sensor part number is GM09114603 it has 3 pins, from testing the plug it seems that pin 1. is 12v+ pin 2. in the negative pin 3. is pulse. is that correct?

I tried testing the sensor by hooking 12v to pin 1. and negative to pin 2. the I hooked multi-meter to pin 3. and pin 1. set to dc volts and passed metal by the sensor. no voltage change on multi-meter :wtf:

1. So I was wondering if I had the pinout right for that sensor?
2. also is that the only sensor the speedo talks to for speed?
3. anything else to check?

Thanks Guy's :thumbup:
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Re: VZ Ute speedo not working

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Hi Guy's :D

I changed the speed sensor in the manual gearbox and the speedo is still not working. Do the wheel speed sensors effect the speedo? could this be why it's not working? Not sure what to check next..
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

I thought t56 was 2 wire reluctor sensor not 3 wire hall effect.where did you wire the speed sensor into on the ecu
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Hi delcowizzid,

The car has standard wiring, the gearbox wiring connects to the engine wiring loom at the back of the engine. I changed the speed sensor in the gearbox to see if the speedo would start working it's a 3 wire sensor for sure same as the original one 3 wire hall effect.

I guess next step is the test speedo pulse wire b33 and power to the sensor.

is there any other sensors the speedo uses?
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

I've never come across a T56 with a 3 wire speed sensor
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

I take it this must be a Vz v6 Aisin gearbox if it has a hall sensor?
I’m not saying it’s your problem, but I have replaced a few ecu’s cause of this problem.
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

the VZ ute is a SVZ maybe why box is different?? I have a spare ecu and BCM I will swap them on the weekend to see if it works.
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Hi Guy's

Sorry to take so long to post back. I tried spare ecu and BCM still the same. So I took a closer look at the wiring loom at the back of the motor, I noticed the part of the engine loom that connects to the gearbox loom has 4 wires in it, and the gear box loom that connects to the engine loom has 3 wires! (both 4 pin connectors)

this car has a history it did not run when I got it see here viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6015

I wonder if the gearbox loom is the wrong one ( possible swapped) would anyone please have the pin outs so I can check what the missing wire is for?

P.S reverse lights are working....

Thanks Guys
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Hi Guy's

I still have not been able to work this one out. I have put in a new speed sensor 2 times... no difference. The speedo is working when tested via mode/set buttons. So I think the Speedo and gearbox speed sensor are ok. When I plug in my scan tool the computer is not getting pulse!

I had my computers changed and relinked. Is there any setting or some thing they may have missed when doing this?

Or do you think it's a wiring problem?

I just need to workout where to start looking next!

Should I run a wire from the gearbox sensor to the ECU, I'm l a bit lost here what to do next.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Has it had a cluster change?

Has the cluster been programmed properly?

Did this stop working all of a sudden?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...