USB BDM NT

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
bubba2533
cars: 03 Chevy S10 Turbo V6

Re: USB BDM NT

Post by bubba2533 »

Edit: I had my wiring wrong, so ignore this.
I attempted to flash a bin file with a different OS than the one that came on my PCM to do some investigation. I've done this successfully in HPTuners, so I thought it was no big deal.

Long story short I discovered that the BDM is not flashing a large section of the bin (0x0000-0x3FFF) which I confirmed by flashing a bitwise NOT of the stock file and reading it back out.
Last edited by bubba2533 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LS1 Boost OS V3 Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread. Support future development ->Patreon.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

It sounds like it didnt disable boot block protection and just ran with the regular flash process which worked for all but the boot block.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

Yep, checking my wiring as I type. Thought I confirmed all of it before even moving on, but guess I missed something.

EDIT: And I wired it wrong. At least I know what the problem is now.
LS1 Boost OS V3 Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread. Support future development ->Patreon.
bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

Well, I fried one. Tried to rush and fix my mistake Monday night into Tuesday morning (stayed up way to late). I read the datasheet wrong so I had the +12v on the wrong pin and heard a pop when I powered up my power supply. Good think these PCM's are cheap.

I carefully read through the datasheet this time and I found that I had the Vpp pin wired to +12v through a resistor (which is correct), but I didn't have RP# also wired to +12v so it wouldn't let me write to the boot block.
DavidBraley
cars: 1948 GMC

Post by DavidBraley »

bubba2533 wrote:Well, I fried one. Tried to rush and fix my mistake Monday night into Tuesday morning (stayed up way to late). I read the datasheet wrong so I had the +12v on the wrong pin and heard a pop when I powered up my power supply. Good think these PCM's are cheap.

I carefully read through the datasheet this time and I found that I had the Vpp pin wired to +12v through a resistor (which is correct), but I didn't have RP# also wired to +12v so it wouldn't let me write to the boot block.
Oh man that sucks. Good to know you figured it out. I hope the USB BDM NT device is OK too. If you know it's the flash chip that's been hurt, I've been reading that it's possible to carefully de-solder the old one and solder a new one in it's place. Nothing to loose at this point in giving it a try.

I've got a question for you: I've tried to get help on the USBJTAG forum for help with a xml config file for the P59's that use the AMD flash with no luck. Do you have luck contacting the site administrator directly? I don't want to be a pest...
-David

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

I thought about soldering a replacement onto it, but I just don't know where to buy a replacement. At least a replacement that is a know compatible one. And I'm not sure what I fried, so it might not be worth the trouble.

I have been better if you message him directly. The past couple times I chatted with him on his website through a chat interface. He even used remote desktop into my computer to help me debug it.

Go here and look for the chat on the bottom right. https://www.usbjtag.com/zenshop/
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

Bubba2533,

Thank You! I will do that.
-David

bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

Yay, I wired up my new PCM with both Vpp and #RP pulled high and I was able to flash an entire bin file!

Now on to some discovery...
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

That's fantastic!

So far the BDM NT has worked flawlessly for me with the 0411 (no luck with any of my P59's, not yet anyway). I even did a hardwired header on a 0411 I have here. I put the port in a place so the leads are really short. I've learned (the hard way) it really makes a difference. Here is a couple of pictures of where I put the port. It's just above the pads on the mainboard where the BDM header is soldered. Sorry the pictures are not very good. I think it has a lot to do with the black paint I put on the 0411 aluminum housing:
bdm6.jpg
bdm6.jpg (280.79 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
bdm7.jpg
bdm7.jpg (281.69 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
I made a really short header cable to plug the BDM device into. The total lead length on the wires from main board to 2x5 BDM plug is less than 6 inches (152mm):
BDMCable.jpg
BDMCable.jpg (242.62 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
And one final shot of an amazing deal I just got delivered to my door. A 2002 Silverado 6.0L engine wiring harness I got off Ebay. $50 delivered. I think I got it for a lot less than most people are paying. It will be my test harness for the engine run stand I'm building. I originally was going to make a kind of bench engine wiring harness for testing, but I thought... screw that! I'll build a run stand and test my harnesses and cut my teeth at basic tuning on the 0411 in the comfort of my own garage. Of course there is no real tuning unless your engine is actually in a vehicle. But at least I can get everything to start, idle, and make sure the transmission is shifting before I shoehorn this Big Block Chevy into the 48 GMC:
harness.jpg
harness.jpg (497.35 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
Take care,

David
-David

yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

I haven’t got a 1MByte ECU to try but this may help
https://www.usbjtag.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=9397