Arduino based PIM

Ecu Hardware Modifications
megajuz3003
cars: 2001 VU SS

Re: Arduino based PIM

Post by megajuz3003 »

Todays effort has been on trying to identify the PIDs I need to query, what seems to be the biggest issue is finding manufacturer specific PIDs, posting what I have so far, if anyone wants to chime in on it - please do :punk:

EDIT:

updated the attached pdf, made a little more progress
Attachments
PID CrossRef.pdf
(127.83 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
megajuz3003

Post by megajuz3003 »

Soo, I've been a little productive today... got out and tested some PIDs just to see what responses I get and found that even just with testing LS1 and L98 PCMs the supported PIDs can be very different, so I will definitely need to do more research into what to do there...

on the plus side I managed to get my Arduino Mega talking to my knock off Elm 327 adapter, just need to actually write a function for it to work properly, quickly and strip off the echo.. but not sure how mch time I can put into this after the weekend.. have to get back to uni lol - the joys of re-skilling :thumbdown:
Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 9.46.56 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 9.46.56 pm.png (61.3 KiB) Viewed 7439 times
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

i can get a bunch of the gm pid details during the week. need to fire up my desk pc at the workshop.

also something i've seen as available product for can based stuff, but might be worth integrating anyway.

Being able to activate earth/voltage pinouts based on a pid value. i.e if your polling gear, if it see's reverse activate as 12v pull up.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Ideal situation is to monitor the broadcast information from the ECU rather than the PIDs, basically an exact replica of what the PIM is doing. The ELM isnt designed as a passthrough device, unless doing a "ATMA" to monitor all data, but you then cannot send data without stopping the logging.

Also, thats a good idea Tre!
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Im almost 100% certain one of the SAE documents explains what each frame means from common broadcast data over the CAN network. I do recall using it to lookup where gear indicators were being broadcasted from, and also indicated the byte and math workout too.

Id be interested in seeing a CAN->ALDL module too. Have seen a couple of the PIMs give out now for the 4wd Adventura (Avalanche?? what ever they are called), and replacements are getting harder to find.
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

yeah the vz sv6 & vz hsv, then vz 6lt used a different pim then the earlier models.

I've mentioned it before in another thread that i have a 2010 e38/t43 combo in my vy ute, that seems to have a coding issue with the later model ecu/os so it sends garbage data to dash cluster. (simple fix, pulled the aldl primary comms wire out)

I'm trying to find another pim so i can crack it open, will try & download anything from any chips in it.
megajuz3003

Post by megajuz3003 »

Tazzi wrote:Ideal situation is to monitor the broadcast information from the ECU rather than the PIDs, basically an exact replica of what the PIM is doing. The ELM isnt designed as a passthrough device, unless doing a "ATMA" to monitor all data, but you then cannot send data without stopping the logging.

Also, thats a good idea Tre!

I did have that thought, broadcast data might be a more authentic way to do it, but I’m not sure if it’s easily doable... I did consider using 2 ATMega microprocessors and some sort of memory ic so 1 ATMega is constantly monitoring one data bus and generating the frame and storing it in the memory ic and the other is just listening for the right moment to send it.

At the moment I’m kinda stuck on the programming side of it, I need to work out what pids I should be trying to use and a backup should the ecu not support them
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Unless using two ELMs (One for listening/one for transmitting), then it wouldnt really work for broadcast.

If the data is being broadcasted, there will all be a PID to read from also.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

How you getting on with this? Any progress?
megajuz3003

Post by megajuz3003 »

Tazzi wrote:How you getting on with this? Any progress?

haven't really made any progress yet, the last week or so has just been full on, family member passed.... but hopefully I can find time to get back to it soon