Firebug's V6 Gemini

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
firebug
cars: Pathfinder Ti 550, L67 Gemini

Re: Firebug's V6 Gemini

Post by firebug »

Keep in mind this radiator is almost 3yrs old. It has been heavily contaminated by coolant, transmission fluid, track dirt and Autosol. When I removed it from the car last week I only rinsed it with the hose and polished off some of the coolant stains which is the only attention it has ever received from me. I didn't clean it any further when I took it to Sam's. The aluminium is actually very reasonable. The inside of the end tanks are quite thick and are cast finish which was the most difficult to get heat into.
We should have made sure it was surgically clean. Then we should have cleaned it again to be sure. But we had a couple of beers after loading a trailer and thought fuck it, lets just give it a go!
"My favourite colour of the alphabet is 3!"
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

firebug wrote:But we had a couple of beers and thought fuck it, lets just give it a go!
that can be used in so many different ways, usually ending with boganness and popped tyres hahahah!
and if im not mistaken, that is pretty much how all our race cars came about :punk:
firebug

Post by firebug »

Bit of an update:

Mid last year I was chomping at the bit to have the cage underway as soon as the racing season finished. Sammy was neck deep in making new family and 2 (now 3) of his own car projects keeping him busy, I felt it unfair to ask him for any of his spare time to help work on my stuff. A little digging around and I found a guy that does automotive stuff on the side of his mobile industrial fabrication business. Robert had built many cages for CAMS, FIA, and ANDRA spec cars, so we put a plan together for early December last year and to be finished before Christmas.

However due to an injury at work, I was unable to work on the car for a little while so I had to put it off for a few months.

Main hoop is mounted just behind the rear footwell on its own custom footing. It has one harness bar and one diagonal. Rear stays are mounted exactly on top of the rear spring mounts for those wondering why they are not on top of the wheel arches, They originally had a single diagonal and are tied back to the main hoop at the base with further tubing. Front members are basic with a taco gusset at the bottom bend, single transversal tube above the windscreen and diagonal door bars each side with secondary door bars that were recommended by CAMS Tech.

Robert showed me how to dimple die gusset panels so I went mad making up the gussets on one of the days he was away doing some real work. I may have gone a little overboard but they have certainly firmed up the frame of the car once he welded them all in.

Also gave me the chance to rehash the rear firewall that separates the fuel system from the cabin. I was never happy with my old design that was built around the original Gemini support braces with rivets and sealer. I haven't made the upper section yet. I'm concentrating on trying to get the dash to fit back in now with a lump of scaffolding in the way.

A few pics here of the build and fit-up along the way in no particular order...

Image < space :) > Image

firebug

Post by firebug »

CAMS required and extra diagonal as the ones we welded in were not exactly to Schedule J. Second diagonal went into the back stays along with gussets at the X. It's way over spec now and has added quite a bit of weight, but the safety and rigidity that comes with it is worth it.

immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Some nice pipe work there :)
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

looks mint man! and dont worry about the extra weight, just means you can work the motor a bit harder ;)

at first i was like WTF only 3 projects .... then i realised you said 3 car projects :lol: :lol:
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Whats the plans for the motor and which one eco or buick?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

its a S/C V6
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah thats looking good!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

Quality work that.