VY No cluster lights (engine srs etc..)

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
nikolatesla
cars: vx sedan vy ute

VY No cluster lights (engine srs etc..)

Post by nikolatesla »

This is my first post here .
I have read for many hours and getting aquainted with most things but I may have bricked my cluster.

The trouble is that i cant remember when it died as i was chasing an airbag fault with Tazzies software and used efilive and tuner pro .

now when i turn the ignition to on there are no warning lights but the lcd warnings do show eg air bag and check engine ( the alternator is faulty but the battery is charged well as it has been on charge and is a new one).

My question is what controls the warning lights ?
bcm cluster pcm??

What option are open to me ?

I can remove the cluster but what would i put in it to bring the lights back?

The car cranks and runs ok ....I know that i must have done something silly.

I also used arrow to set a different logo but i was careful not to push any other buttons......

HHHEEEELLLPPPP Please .
nikolatesla

Re: VY No cluster lights (engine srs etc..)

Post by nikolatesla »

Update ...

I have removed the cluster and it is apparent that the lights are not wired thru the smarts and are sent by possibly the bcm...which means that i somehow have my bcm in a mode that is not what i want .
this is a vy ute with no abs ..basic
perhaps i need to re zap it with ...what file ?

im abit scared to get this wrong as i already must have .
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

depends which warning lights, but eg for SRS the dash will ask the SRS modules if anything is set on power on. If it cant talk to the SRS, or if the SRS reports a problem the light will come on, and stay on. If you tell the dash to clear the lights i'll ask the module the same question at next start up, and turn it back on. You need to fix the fault, then reset the lights in the dash (and maybe in other modules) to keep them off. Cant give you more specifics, but thats the general idea.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

As Antus pointed out each one comes from a different source so I think it will be the cluster. The Srs light gets the message straight from the srs module, the oil light goes pcm>bcm>cluster and the alt light comes straight from the alt.
Is this a v8 or v6?
nikolatesla

Post by nikolatesla »

Thanks for the replies

Yes a v6 auto

the problem is that the lights dont come on at all ...indicators work and the secutiry light flashes...but thats it !

I have got afew contact retailer on the lcd and the airbag (when i trigger it) diaplays on the lcd and chimes .

when i fix the fault by reconnecting the clock spring and clear the code it clears ok . just dead warning lights when you switch the ignition on.

this only happened after tring to get tunerpro then efi live to connect ....I did it somehow ...i should fix it more specifically when i know what module it has to be .

it is possible that there is a fault as it has not been well cared for ...but past experience say the wehn you are doing something while learning , stuffups are expected.

Thanks for any other pointers for this .
nikolatesla

Post by nikolatesla »

I managed to find arrow software and was able to reset the lights in the cluster to working .
Setting poll to true and a diy max232 aldl cable did the trick.
nikolatesla

Post by nikolatesla »

Here is the aldl citcuit that worked with Arrow ..other cables bought and diy were not successfull ...in fact they made the lights disfunctional perhaps noise?

I supplied the 5 volts via the 12 v on the car aldl port and used a 7805 regulator .
I used a usb to rs232 prolific cable for the computer end.
I can only hope that this may prevent somebody from having similar issues .
Attachments
aldl.jpg
aldl.jpg (98.88 KiB) Viewed 4729 times
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Even the old techedge 2 transistor design works with the arrow software and the usb aldl cable from here
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
nikolatesla

Post by nikolatesla »

Yes I had some success but the circuit posted gave much more consistant results .

I may have variables that are unique however,just reporting my experiences with almost bricking my cluster.
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

Good olde RS-232!

Joe.