trouble with vs v6 auto .bin with VATS turned off.? maybe

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
turbo1600
cars: mazda bravo 4wd, tf magna, fuel injected 360 chrysler, blown 408 stroker, indy heads,manifold, one off custom made crank.

trouble with vs v6 auto .bin with VATS turned off.? maybe

Post by turbo1600 »

anybody know if the vats ( novats.bin) is turned off correctly ? on vs v6 auto ute. been having trouble with it starting ( no crank) sometimes it will start/ crank sometimes not. so i think i turned the vats off from the orig file , but still have same prob.
origvsperf23062019.bin
(128 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
origvsperf23062019novats.bin
(128 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
mark
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: trouble with vs v6 auto .bin with VATS turned off.? mayb

Post by Charlescrown »

I haven't downloaded your bin file yet but if it has started and run I doubt it's that. From what I know if vats are on it should crank but not start unless it see's the security code and turning them off does not affect cranking ability. Perhaps there's more to it.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

The BCM handles the cranking relay. Normally the BCM waits for the PCM vats message and will crank as soon as it gets it, else it will time out by itself after 1 sec and proceed to crank anyway.

This is why when vats is disabled there is a 1 sec delay noticed when turning the key to when it actually starts turning.

Sounds to me there is an unrelated electrical problem or the BCM has a problem.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

maybe you need to change the progrm ID to AA ?
Jesse19
cars: Vx Commodore
Vy commodore
Hdj80 landcruiser

Post by Jesse19 »

May completely wrong but my last starting issue was earth related, check down near the transmission cooler lines and the one up the back passenger side on the block.
I was also showing 7v on pin 9 at the comms port.
May eliminate one potential issue
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

vlad01 wrote:The BCM handles the cranking relay. Normally the BCM waits for the PCM vats message and will crank as soon as it gets it, else it will time out by itself after 1 sec and proceed to crank anyway.

This is why when vats is disabled there is a 1 sec delay noticed when turning the key to when it actually starts turning.

Sounds to me there is an unrelated electrical problem or the BCM has a problem.
When my VS V6 key failed (turned out to be a bad connection from the fob to the key blade), it would not crank.

Joe.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Both my and my bother's VR started with non fobbed keys, in fact my bothers bcm wont read keys anymore so I turned off vats to allow used of a generic cut key. It cranked but did not start when the bcm faulted.

In my car I forgot to turn on vats and the service key started the car just fine. ie the all metal key.

Unless they changed this in VS I don't see why a fob would prevent cranking.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

j_ds_au wrote:When my VS V6 key failed (turned out to be a bad connection from the fob to the key blade), it would not crank.

Joe.
Yep i bought a VS V6 that wouldn't crank, i saw the key reader ring on the foot well when i unlocked the steering to winch it onto the trailer hahaha

i am using it with a VR 424 PCM and it needs VS Vats messages sent to the bcm for it to crank.
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

vlad01 wrote:Both my and my bother's VR started with non fobbed keys, in fact my bothers bcm wont read keys anymore so I turned off vats to allow used of a generic cut key. It cranked but did not start when the bcm faulted.

In my car I forgot to turn on vats and the service key started the car just fine. ie the all metal key.

Unless they changed this in VS I don't see why a fob would prevent cranking.
Yes, they did change how VATS worked between VR and VS. For instance, I understand that with a faulty fob, for a VR you need to keep the key in the on position for 45 minutes before the BCM will allow the car to be started, whereas for a VS, it's 2 hours. They made VATS more stringent/secure on VS. Having said that, the transition might not have occurred exactly at the VR to VS transition.

Joe.
phat01-2007
cars: VE R8,Vt senator waggon

Post by phat01-2007 »

RE VS V6 ute vats, I have the same problem the ute is a series 3 ute 99 it is the vt operating system not vs