ALDL Interface

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

ALDL Interface

Post by pman92 »

Hey guys,

I've got a ALDL USB interface I purchased from here years ago. I haven't used it for ages but thought I would pull it out to do some playing around with a VY PCM on the bench.

As soon as I plug it in, its recognised in windows and all drivers installed etc BUT when I hit connect hardware in tunerpro it says hardware not found.

I've got a status LED connected to the ALDL line on my bench setup and noticed it holds the ALDL data line low permanently when connected, regardless of being connected to PC or not (SO no other modules can communicate on ALDL with it connected).

In device manager it shows as an FTDI device with driver version 2.12.28.0

I pulled the case off and on the PCB it has "MPR" "delcohacking.net" "rev 1.1"

Its been stored well and I don't believe its been broken or dropped. There no sing of physical damage.
I have noticed C6 on the PCB is lifted and disconnected at one end only, but this looks intentional (the other side is still soldered to the PCB fine)

I remember something about counterfeit FTDI chips, but I wouldn't of thought that would hold the ALDL line low if it had been bricked by the latest FTDI drivers, and I know it would almost certainly be a genuine FTDI chip anyway.

Whats the potential problems?

I have the 2 earths, ALDL and battery voltage connected to the diagnostic port on my bench

Thanks
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
pman92
VE Ute

Re: ALDL Interface

Post by pman92 »

I googled the serial number of the FTDI chip after finding it in device manager, and nothing came up (so its not a known common fake)

Heres what it looks like with close up on the lifted capacitor
thumbnail_20190704_195412.jpg
thumbnail_20190704_195328.jpg
MrModule.com.au
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Most certainly isn't a fake. That'll be the build number/serial ect of the chip.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

have you configured the plugin for this or the right com settings etc ?

also try the flash tool and see if it will detect the pcm ?
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

I wouldn't expect the cap to be lifted on purpose if it wasn't needed it would be removed
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

i dont think c6 should be disconnected either but i'll check against the later versions and compare againt you pic. the aldl line does have a resistor on it so i dont think its shorted to ground, just pulled to ground. if you open say putty (google it) with comms chosen and the right com port typed in, can you see whatever you type echo back?

its def not a clone, we have had no issues with that since day 1 by using reputable suppliers.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

That would make more sense (removing it completely)

Yeah its not shorted to ground, its just pulled to ground permanently (I can still see the status LED on my bench slightly flicker as other modules try and communicate, but the LED it still very much lit up constantly, and goes out completely as soon as I disconnect the interface)

I have opened putty, selected Serial, typed in COM6 (correct com port with the interface connected I found in device manager), left speed at 9600 and then hit open.
It opens, big black window appears, I type something in (eg. "hello world") and press enter
I can still see "hello world" in the window, its just the green cursor has moved back to the top left corner (on "h").
Does this mean its been echoed back?

Should I try re-soldering the capacitor properly and see if it works?

Thanks
MrModule.com.au
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

I tried fixing the capacitor but it has made no difference
MrModule.com.au
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

How is your led wired in it could be an issue
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

ALDL is wired to the base of a 2N3906 PNP with a 10k resistor in series.
When ALDL is low it allows current to flow to the LED from a 5v regulator that's powered from battery voltage
MrModule.com.au