Reset SRS AirBag Fault - 2004 VY2 Wagon

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
vk4akp
cars: 2004 - VY2 - Commodore Wagon (Auto)
1981 - VC - Commodore (Starfire 5SP-Manual)
1979 - UC - Torana Hatch (4Sp Manual)

Reset SRS AirBag Fault - 2004 VY2 Wagon

Post by vk4akp »

Hi guys. I tried searching for this info with no results so sorry *IF* I'm about to ask a stupid question.

I have a 2004 VY Series 2 - Commodore Executive Wagon. (Ex QAS so Police Spec Optioned if that makes any difference).
It's been a good car but I hit the brakes in a hurry coming up to an intersection last night as it looked like someone wasn't going to give way.
So just a quick stab at the brakes and released again causing us (front passenger & I) to jolt forward locking the seatbelts and then off again. (Not actually fully stopping). Anyhow the SRS red light pulsed up for a split second, went out but sure enough the "SRS Airbag fault" came up and has stayed on the LCD now every time the car is turned on.

I assume regardless if there is a fault or not the warning will stay there until it is Reset via a programming tool?
Some people suggest disconnecting the battery to get a reset but I doubt that will work as I assume the Bit is flipped in the ECU's NVRam somewhere?

I plugged my 1320 Electronics ALDL USB + Bluetooth cable in and ran Tuner Pro RT. Nothing shows up in the DTC Error Codes list. (everything Green).

I'm trying to google and read up how the system works but I haven't found a good document yet.
I do know that the Airbags, Seat Belt tensioners, and a module inside the back of the centre console are involved. I also know there are connectors under the front seats (That should never be unplugged while the battery is connected or SRS error will result), I assume the AirBag in the steering wheel connects through the Clock Spring (So another weak connection point), the car also has the optional Side AirBags.

So here are my questions.

- Can anyone recommend ALDL software and physical approaches to identify *IF* something has in fact failed in the SRS AirBag system?
- Can the SRS AirBag Fault warning be reset using an ALDL cable? If so what software and the procedure please?

Any help appreciated.
.-.-.
delcowizzid

Re: Reset SRS AirBag Fault - 2004 VY2 Wagon

Post by delcowizzid »

Download the ose flashtool on here and use it to send FA ,56 ,0A ,A6 via the send custom aldl command menu it will reset the airbag error codes you may have to send it more than once .if it clears and comes back you have an issue somewhere .the easiest to use software to find out what is tazzis/ envious customs body diagnostics software and its relatively cheap if you already have a cable
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vk4akp

Post by vk4akp »

Hi, Thanks for the help. I'll download the ose flashtool and give that a go for starters.

If there is an actual problem I am suspecting the clock spring as the steering wheels radio buttons have never worked correctly for the past 5 years so it's probably degraded further.

Or could be tensioner related.

If I have to diagnose stuff I will likely get Tazzies $110 option of cable, airbag, & Tune software.
I had a great chat with him on the phone yesterday. Very helpful guy, gave me lots of info.

I like his Body Diag software but at $50 per month it's definitely made of unobtainium for me sadly :(
It's a shame it's not more affordable at a hobbiest level.

His other software it's a bit off putting that the license locks the software to the one computer. Any changes to the computer, CPU, RAM, Hard drive upgrades make the license invalid and you have to pay again.
But he mentioned that eventually there will be a new serialised cable available that links the license to the cable instead of the computer. This would be much more preferable to me personally. In fact I don't know why he doesn't just sell the software with some sort of USB dongle key etc as an interim thing.

OK. I'm off to have a go. Wish me luck. Thanks again! :)
.-.-.
vk4akp

Post by vk4akp »

Sorry. I typed a more detailed message but lost it due to the net dropping out when in the car.

But basically, I just gave it a bash.

I can get the Flashtool to load and connect. It seems a bit hit and miss though. Eventually it comes up identifying the car (VY II etc with the VIN and so on).

Often I get a Unhandled Exception error with something to do with RichText I think it was. (Software crashes).

When trying to send the commands ( FA ,56 ,0A ,A6 ) it constantly fails unless I turn Listen for Chatter on first. Then eventually it thinks it's doing something but I doubt it is.

At no time does the SRS AirBag Fault disappear from the LCD.
.-.-.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

vk4akp wrote:In fact I don't know why he doesn't just sell the software with some sort of USB dongle key etc as an interim thing.
Its a great idea in theory, just not practical unfortunately. :thumbdown:
A quick google for implementations show average of 50-100usd. So taking the middle, 75usd.. which is $111aud, which would have to be added onto every single order which has now more than doubled the cost :roll:

My whole business is designed to make affordable tools which are less than a single trip to the dealership, so at $190+ for a dongle and kit.. is no longer cheaper.

Like said on the phone, the new cable design will link the license to the cables unique serial and save to my servers. This is not possible on the current cables as there is no unique identifier to request from them.

Anyways, good luck!
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
vk4akp

Post by vk4akp »

Hi Taz,

Yea. I do like the serialized ALDL / BT Cable idea.
You definitely have a customer here for one once they are mass produced and under AU$100ea.

I'm going to try and muck with the thing more over the weekend as time allows.
I would have liked to just see if the fault had disappeared by sending that command via FlashTool but it doesn't look like I'll be able to get that going at this stage.

Just dealing with a few things leading up to and over the weekend with dad, bills, and such. I can see the benefit in having your software regardless as it will be handy for both of my two wagons over time. So don't worry I will most likely end up purchasing in a bit.

The dongle thing. I would have thought a cheap pic-micro or similar could be coded to do some simple key encryption challenge? It could even be added to your existing cable. I know they do something similar for the Ham Radio VoIP USB interfaces I use here.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

vk4akp wrote:The dongle thing. I would have thought a cheap pic-micro or similar could be coded to do some simple key encryption challenge? It could even be added to your existing cable. I know they do something similar for the Ham Radio VoIP USB interfaces I use here.
Its still the cost thats the issue and being economically viable. To make it cheap, have to mass produce and manufacture myself. Otherwise prebuilt things are easy to implement but expensive to use.
I would rather spend the time actually developing and making the software/tools then wasting it on hardware which will become irrelevant. :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
vk4akp

Post by vk4akp »

Fair enough. Was just an idea. All good :) :thumbup:
ateyourv8

Post by ateyourv8 »

Hmm weird that it doesnt show any fault codes. Usually when the SRS service illuminates theres a corresponding fault code.
When the car is involved in an accident, the SRS module stores a "hard" crash code in either the eeprom or MCU and has to be cleared by reading the chip and removing crash code.
Some American car like dodge and Chevrolet dont store a "hard" crash, those can just be cleared with a diagnostic tool after all faults have been corrected. Also some VAG and Euro cars dont store a hard crash.
If you can get your hands on another diagnostic scanner, give it a shot to read the SRS module.
Could be something as simple as clearing fault codes.
Have you tried to just clear codes with your Tuner Pro?
Best of luck!
vk4akp

Post by vk4akp »

Hi @ateyourv8,

No I haven't tried clearing code from Tuner Pro.
I went through all the menu's and I can't see any option to do that.
Or do I try sending FA ,56 ,0A ,A6 somewhere in Tuner Pro?
I think the A6 is a checksum thing. I'm pretty new to all this stuff understanding wise.
But although having the fault is annoying it's also been a good learning curve for me.
When I got the VY I decided this would hopefully be the last ICE car for me before being forced to go EV one day.
So I'm trying to understand the basics of the computer side of things so I can DIY maintain it and it's sister car that I have now ended up with myself.
I'm wondering if software will ever come out so that we can encode / match BCM, ECU, & Key's ourselves one day when things fail.
I know the Chinese have already hacked the system as you can buy limited use key encoders from Supercheap already.
Of course the downside is it would probably make these cars easier to steal then.