LSx Coil Driver

Ecu Hardware Modifications
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Re: LSx Coil Driver

Post by OZ38 »

I am plotting my wiring for this LSx Coil Driver Box on a VS V6 Commy at the mo.
Recently I have had a Kalmaker 2 bar Map tune done on the car & at the time the original T5 manual ECU/PCM was replaced with a VT auto ECU/PCM due to some PAL license code not coming back in time during the real time tuning.
Anyway everything seems to be running ok still.
Now on the instructions for the Coil Driver box... I would like to know what others have done when fitted to a V6 VS.

Loom 2 Red wire - this needs to be a switched ignition voltage. As I intend to mount the Driver box in the cab near the ecu, where can I take this from ? On the instructions it suggests (if I had a VN ECU) I could use the ECU ignition voltage [Pin A6 on an "808 VN ECU].
Can I assume that the current VS/VT auto ECU has a Pin with the same ECU ignition voltage as the '808 ECU ?

Loom 2 Black wire - Ground - Should be located at the same point as the ECU. If I had a VN ECU that could be [Pin A12 or D10 on an '808 VN ECU.
Can I again assume that the current VS/VT auto ECU has a pin(s) with the same duty as the A12 & D10 on the '808 VN ECU ?
This one also concerns me as I read that the VS ECU wiring had some issues with poor grounding wiring at times.

Bare with me, last one :P

Loom 2 Green wire - RPM - this can be any source that provides a square wave signal of the engine RPM. Where would I find that on the VS V6 loom ?
I see people refer to a single brown wire in the engine bay loom on the passengers side near strut top area for hooking up a Tacho. Is this a square wave output for engine rpm ?
Again on the instructions if I had a VN ECU I could use [Pin B5 on an '808 VN ECU].
Do I once again assume that the current VS/VT auto ECU has a pin with the same duty as the B5 pin on an '808 VN ECU ?

I think I already know I am going to get told don't be so f-ing lazy & find a VS V6 ECU wiring diagram lol.

Cheers
Comcal76

Post by Comcal76 »

Vs V6
IGN power A4
Ground B1-B2
RPM D12

Not 100% positive on the grounds maybe someone else can confirm.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Oh yeah dont put 100% positive to the grounds, that'll blow a fuse!

(sorry, couldnt resist hahahaha)
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Comcal76

Post by Comcal76 »

Hahaha :thumbup:
OZ38
VS V6 Commo sedan.

Post by OZ38 »

Comcal76 wrote:Vs V6
IGN power A4
Ground B1-B2
RPM D12

Not 100% positive on the grounds maybe someone else can confirm.
Thank you for that help.

The RPM said it had to be a square wave signal.

Is the brown Tacho test wire coming off pin "E" in the attached pic of DFI wiring, a square wave signal as well do you know ?
Attachments
DFI pinouts.PNG
DFI pinouts.PNG (258.37 KiB) Viewed 11618 times
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I believe it is. It is signal level, definitely not higher voltage from the coil itself.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Comcal76

Post by Comcal76 »

Yes tap in to that brown wire for your rpm signal for the two step.
OZ38
VS V6 Commo sedan.

Post by OZ38 »

Very good. So Pin "D" off the DFI or D12 at ECU for RPM Square wave to hook up the Loom 2 Green wire. Then the Pin "E" off the DFI (RPM signal to Tacho) for the Two Step White wire ?

Thank you Gents.
Last edited by OZ38 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aussy7
cars: 94 Vr commodore manual

Post by Aussy7 »

Hay is it still possible to get the coil drivers been chasing one for my car for awhile now but idk what happened I know bbg use to sell them, any info would be nice.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i'd say its in the same boat as the other ignition module that VL400 made, he hasnt made anymore since, i may or may not do another batch.