Fuel Pump Wiring Mod

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
VSRaptor
cars: Vp Commodore V8
Vs Commodore ute V6

Fuel Pump Wiring Mod

Post by VSRaptor »

I have a VS ute and just got the TI Automotive 255 litre/hour. The plug came with a piggy tail and was wondering whether to cut and solder that to the factory wires then use the clear polyvinlidene heat shrink they sell at jay car or use a crimped insulated joiner? Is the heat shrink in tank compatiable? It says that this type is fuel, oil, solvent resistant.
I will see if I can get the piggy tail wires out of the plug and and buy new ones and crimp them to the factory wires instead if that is better?
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: Fuel Pump Wiring Mod

Post by Charlescrown »

I hate crimp joints and others love them. Try leaving a sample in petrol for a few days and see if it grows. If it does don't use it.
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

Will your current fuel pump plug not fit straight up to the new pump ?
VSRaptor
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

No, the plug is different, I ended up going Jaycar and buying new spades, ripped out the spades from the piggy back, cut the factory harness and put new spades and slid them into the walbro plug.
VSRaptor
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

What is it with customer service these days, do people read or look at pictures I send them? I specifically emailed my old pump set up on the sneder unit to TI Auto customer service in the great of shitty USA to send me a GSS342 but what do they do? Send me a GSS340. Lovely pump but the bottom mounting rubber does not allow the filter to slide onto the pump.
Don't they do a basic check these days before posting??? Lucky I paid by paypal.
I think overtime with the pump pulsating that there maybe damage to the plastic and the pump overtime????
Attachments
20190918_135243.jpg
20190918_141659.jpg
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Zip tie the pump to the support rod?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
VSRaptor
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

Yes was thinking of that, with the fine filter pushed in, there is no movement by hand at bottom at all. I will cable tie it as well.
Fantastic news from TI USA, they apologise for the incorrect stuff up and shipping back and forth is not cost effective. They have refunded me in full so I got a free pump. Will check my paypal statement in the coming days.
I could fit this or sell it off and get the correct GSS342 setup.
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

Just a little note if you go through this again.
The Walbro F20000169 255 LPH pump is better suited to our VR-VS intank fuel pump hangers.
It has a large inlet but is offset & fits the stock VR-VS filter bag.
VSRaptor
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

Yeah I knew that but TI Automotive sales and dispatch team don't seem to synchronise well, the receipt I got mentions that but what they packed and sent is different. Anyway after getting a full refund and they told me to just keep the pump, I did a little mucking around and managed to secure it to the hangar. I have attached pics. I cut the walbro bottom rubber mount bottom bit completely off and used it as a sleeve at the bottom lower part of the pump. I used my old factory pump lower mounting rubber and cut out all the high spots with a stanley blade on both sides. Then I used a cable tie to centre the inlet part to the bottom of the hangar. The filter slid on nice and easily. The filter is a 22mm version on the GSS340 model which is larger than the other GSS series. The pump is firmly secured and the inlet area should not rub against anything. It's fitted to the tank, tank is in the ute. Just got to get a new elbow hose that joins the filler neck to the tank as the original is dried and has cracks. My local hydraulic hose shop has it in stock, the gates 90 bend elbow filler neck hose and they can cut it down to my required length.
Attachments
20190919_113505.jpg
20190919_113434.jpg
20190919_113953.jpg
VSRaptor
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

Any one got a VS ute? The filler neck seal (the black rubber that sits inside the petrol cap housing) is impossible to find. Use loctite 406 to glue as much as you can of the split rubber together then use windscreen sealant behind it (not on the petrol cap side as it does collect dust) and it works well, holds it really firm. The reason I did it is to stop water when washing the ute or on rainy days from seaping inside that was the cause of my rust bubbling up on the lower rocker panel. I have a plastic tub liner so water was not getting inside from there.
Also replace the the aged clear and the big plastic breather hoses with fuel line and clamp it to stop the fuel fumes on very hot days. The large 16mm hose I got from Veale auto parts is made by Raceworks and it bends very well without any kinks. Veale Auto Parts are very competitve in prices and I found them much cheaper than Ebay, Covs etc.
Attachments
20190919_142554.jpg
20190919_142509.jpg
20190920_135201.jpg