Adding steering wheel controls.. LAN buttons?

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Omega

Adding steering wheel controls.. LAN buttons?

Post by Omega »

I'm not sure where to post this or how it could be done, so bare with me.

The G8 steering wheel has a few buttons which work off a data buss? and couple are analog. I've repurposed one of the analog buttons to trigger the scramble boost feature on my boost controller and I'd like to add line lock without losing other steering wheel features. From what i gather, the buttons work by having a specific resistance and when the BCM sees a said particular resistance on the input, it knows what to trigger. The steering wheel schematic shows there are a few free inputs which don't do anything, which I'd like to take advantage of.

I think I need some sort of device which watches that steering wheel data stream for my custom input and triggers a relay. Ideally, I'd like my analog button back so it would be two inputs.

Does any of that make sense or is possible?
picvrss
cars: Commodore VR Series II SS
Commodore VF Series II SSV Redline

Re: Adding steering wheel controls.. LAN buttons?

Post by picvrss »

When you say “...Ideally, I'd like my analog button back so it would be two inputs...”, do you mean that you’d like to be able to use the physical steering wheel buttons for both their original functions and an alternative function when required?
Omega

Post by Omega »

According to the schematic of the steering wheel, there are three unused "buttons". I'd like to use two of those for my project, this way all the current buttons work aren't effected. I'm currently using YF for my add button to trigger the boost contoller.

I think the Lingenfelter CANR-002 is what I'm looking for but ive got more research to do

j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

It might help if you posted the schematic ...

Joe.
picvrss
cars: Commodore VR Series II SS
Commodore VF Series II SSV Redline

Post by picvrss »

If you didn't want to get into any sort of serial bus monitoring with either the CANR-002a or with a custom, dedicated microcontroller circuit, you could always go the analog route.

A simple window-comparator and latch based around say, a TL084 quad op-amp, could detect the unique voltage for the selected switch(es) to drive a relay.

Properly done, it would not effect normal detection of the switches by the IPC circuit.