antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Connecting NVRAM troubles

Post by antus »

From looking at the logs everything looks fine but neither show anything at all of the engine startup. So I think the computer dies as soon as either the start or run circuits are connected. What I dont understand is how it could work on the stock memcal.

Yes you should be using the 1 bar ADX, but as thats only logging that wont be hurting anything, and even with log playback if I pick the 1 bar adx I see the correct map signal, that is hovering around 100kpa before you try and start, atmospheric pressure in the manifold. With the 3 bar adx your seeing 300kpa.

The xdf is the same for 1, 2 and 3 bar, so you have the right one. For the 12p bin load the 12p v8 bin (not the stacked one). Save as under a new filename and when you get it working you can tune from there. Im not sure whats on the car yet, but this has all the hallmarks of an electrical problem, not a software problem.

If the nvram or the bin on it was not right, you would not be able to connect at all.

You can try starting the car and then connecting. That you have the starter wired separately gives the possibility that its related to that.

I also suggest checking your wiring on the comms board, though it doesnt really sound like a problem with that from the symptoms your getting.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Also try putting the factory memcal that works across the top of the nvram. This will use the backup resistors in the factory memcal in a fail state and you might find that its actually failing on the factory memcal too but its backup resistors are closer to what the engine needs so you havnt noticed this yet. If thats the case it'll be like night and day when you get it running properly.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Fozadore5ltr
cars: 1998 Subaru Forester 5ltr

Post by Fozadore5ltr »

I think you are correct that it is not working correctly even on the other memcal I have and that it's an electrical issue. Where is the best place for me to start searching? I tried to connect after startup with no luck either. If I get an auto electrician out what do I tell him to look for? This is a possible nightmare as I put the wiring loom in myself and connected the holden wiring to the subaru wiring so that I still had all my lights/dash etc... Is there a way for me to try diagnose where the issue is myself? If I were to take it to a tuner does this mean that they would also not be able to tune it for me? Thanks again for your advice. There's clearly a problem with my engine conversion, not your nvram/comms kit.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

check the power coming out the key barrel on the start and run circuits, check the same voltages are present at the EFI relays, and check its also present at the pcm. check the power and ground circuits at the sensors too. it looks very much like power, because the whole pcm is stopping. any other wiring fault you'd still be able to connect and see error codes.
Fozadore5ltr
cars: 1998 Subaru Forester 5ltr

Post by Fozadore5ltr »

ok so I am super excited to say that I managed to get it to connect while running. I tried after startup, had to press the initialize hardware button again then connect and it works. So id say my problem is relating to my starter motor wiring. anyhow i have attached the 2 logs, the 2nd giving a few revs here and there. am I way out of tune or can I get it better from here. where is your suggested starting point and can you see any major problems? the data dash is showing all things and the data trace is working too. Should I just do as the basic delco tuning guide suggests? or do I need to start somewhere else at the moment. Please bring me good news!! Thanks again for all the help. You have been an absolute legend through this whole process.
Attachments
successful log 2.xdl
(43.15 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
successful log1.xdl
(35.13 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Could be a severe voltage drop during cranking. I'd check the state of the wiring going from the battery to the ECU. or perhaps the health of the battery itself. It's possible as well there could be a ground issue on the engine to battery/body that's making electrical noise upon starting.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

How about grounds, most that do swaps leave out the ground straps between engine/body/chassis, they all should have ground straps between them.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!