GitHub repo for XDFs

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: GitHub repo for XDFs

Post by antus »

using year tends to work pretty well as its sortable, and could have a top level readme that discusses hardware variations that we know of.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I'm listening, please keep up the thoughts and input.
Please do not allow my poor communication skills to silence you. That is wrong!
ShorTuning wrote:The OS's and tune files are interchangeable between all of the hardware's for that particular model (P01 or P59) PCM. I understand some have IAC drivers and some do not, some have analog A/C input and some don't, some have pull-up for tach output and some don't. This info is a given based on what it is pulled from however. Meaning if you have a express VAN tune it's known they use a mechanical throttle which requires IAC drivers.
That is exactly what we are (I am) looking to change ... It is only known to those that know!
ShorTuning wrote:So in a nutshell why clutter it up with Hardware ID's when for a repository of XDF's and Bin's only care about the model/style PCM rather than the specific hardwares of each model?
XDF's are easy peasy ... They only care about the OS, thus a Manufacture Directory with OsID.xdf filenames and done! (Example: GM/OsID.xdf)
A readme showing versions.

Bins are another story, there is a lot about them that needs to be known, easily seen and understandable.
I cannot imagine (don't know for sure) that an OS from a Intel Flash unit will work on a unit that has AMD Flash ... Except for possibly (but I doubt it) OS's released after the appearance of the AMD chips, but not prior.

In my playing, I have been including a text file that describes the bin, currently the details are slim, just what I can glean from within the bin and the VIN.
My hopes are to build a matrix for hardware, a matrix for software (Os) and a matrix for calibrations, then one can see the differences between each.
That's a dream ... Not sure I can do it, in my current state I cannot, just don't know enough about these units.

An example of a basic File_ID is attached ... Stupid

Code: Select all

tags render it unreadable! (I thought code tags blocked formatting)

[edit]
Changed to Microsoft Style line endings
Attachments
12585950.txt
If anyone knows more to be gleaned from a bin, PLEASE do educate me!
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
Last edited by Gampy on Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
ShorTuning
cars: 2002 Camaro
2002 Formula

Post by ShorTuning »

NSFW wrote:The idea is to avoid someone flashing a bin file to an incompatible PCM and then wondering why it doesn't work. For example a cable-throttle bin from the "P01" directory onto a DBW P01 PCM.

If the directory name is the hardware ID then it will be clear(er) that people shouldn't expect a bin file from the hardware-ID-A directory to work on a PCM with a hardware-ID-B sticker.

We could put a readme file in each hardware directory that describes which features that hardware has and doesn't have.

I barely understand the hardware variations myself so I'm in favor of making this stuff clear.
Point is it doesn't matter if you have a DBC bin and flash it into a DBW PCM. That isn't something that will brick the PCM pending it's a compatible OS to the main hardware family (P01 or P59). To break it down yes there are two different hardware/service numbers for the P01. Any file that came from those PCM's can be swapped between each hardware/service number. So you could take a 1999 Camaro ('896 hardware / P01) and write that BIN into a 2002 Corvette ('411 hardware / P01) and it would not brick.

Same goes for P59. You can rewrite a 2003 BIN into a 2007 PCM, as long as it's a green/blue P59 architecture it's interchangeable. Now with the P59's there are issues with IAC drivers and A/C analog inputs working with some OS's but none of that is going to brick the PCM, those functions just physically won't work if the hardware isn't present.

Here is a list of numbers I've collected, highlighted green means it has the IAC hardware present and will work with both DBW and DBC.
PCM Service and Hardware No..png
PCM Service and Hardware No..png (10.48 KiB) Viewed 6115 times
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

ShorTuning wrote:
NSFW wrote:The idea is to avoid someone flashing a bin file to an incompatible PCM and then wondering why it doesn't work.
Point is it doesn't matter if you have a DBC bin and flash it into a DBW PCM. That isn't something that will brick the PCM [....]
If the DBW PCM doesn't have IAC hardware, it's not going to work. It's not bricked, it can be reflashed, but it's only a waste of time... but it's still a complete a waste of time.

I'd rather make that kind of thing obvious, so that people will figure it out before they've wasted their time with incompatible combinations, rather than after.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Gampy wrote:Except for possibly (but I doubt it) OS's released after the appearance of the AMD chips, but not prior.
Well it's hibernation time and all snugged into the cave, grabbed an Os from an Amd chipped unit and spilled it's guts, lo and behold what do I find ...

Code: Select all

move.w	#$9090,(a1)
		move.w	(a5),d0
		move.w	#$FFFF,(a1)
		move.w	#$89,d3
		cmp.w	d0,d3
		beq.w	locret_77D92
		move.w	#$AAAA,(a1)
		move.w	#$5555,(a4)
		move.w	#$9090,(a1)
		move.w	(a5),d0
		move.w	#$F0F0,(a5)
		move.w	#1,d3
		cmp.w	d0,d3
		beq.w	locret_77D92
		clr.w	d0
locret_77D92:
		rts

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yep they have intel and amd flash code internally!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
ShorTuning
2002 Formula

Post by ShorTuning »

NSFW wrote:
ShorTuning wrote:
NSFW wrote:The idea is to avoid someone flashing a bin file to an incompatible PCM and then wondering why it doesn't work.
Point is it doesn't matter if you have a DBC bin and flash it into a DBW PCM. That isn't something that will brick the PCM [....]
If the DBW PCM doesn't have IAC hardware, it's not going to work. It's not bricked, it can be reflashed, but it's only a waste of time... but it's still a complete a waste of time.

I'd rather make that kind of thing obvious, so that people will figure it out before they've wasted their time with incompatible combinations, rather than after.
I would like to think that people that would be using this information would have enough knowledge to know what file will work with what. Especially they should know what hardware they have and what capabilities it has. The tune files don't care if they are DBW or DBC. That switch can be flipped in one byte in the options matrix. The only question is whether their PCM supports it or not. I think adding hardware numbers would only confuse them further personally. If it makes a difference I would put that it's either P59 or P01 hardware and then add whether it's a DBW or DBC file so nobody wastes their time flashing a certain file to their PCM.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

ShorTuning wrote:I would like to think that people that would be using this information would have enough knowledge to know what file will work with what. Especially they should know what hardware they have and what capabilities it has.
Please show me where this information is that says what works with what and what each different piece's (hardware & software) capabilities are so I (and others) can gain the knowledge to know what will work with what or has what capabilities.

ShorTuning
2002 Formula

Post by ShorTuning »

Gampy wrote:
ShorTuning wrote:I would like to think that people that would be using this information would have enough knowledge to know what file will work with what. Especially they should know what hardware they have and what capabilities it has.
Please show me where this information is that says what works with what and what each different piece's (hardware & software) capabilities are so I (and others) can gain the knowledge to know what will work with what or has what capabilities.
I literally just gave you that information above with all the hardware and service numbers. Green means it has IAC/AC hardware. Unfortunately the hardware/service numbers are not stored in the bin file either so unless you can verify the PCM is virgin you pull tune files from you'll not have that information.

Your alls shin dig just trying to explain why hardware/service numbers only matter when figuring out if you're using DBW or DBC and to signify whether it is P59 or P01.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Dude I wrote most of this software and I'm not entirely clear on this stuff. :)

Based on that chart it sounds like you're saying there's effectively 3 kinds of hardware that people need to be aware of:

1) P01 - all are usable with DBW or DBC
2) P59 without IAC - usable only for DBW
3) P59 with IAC - usable for DBW or DBC

Related question - do you know whether there's a hardware number that indicates a P59 with an Intel flash chip? I'd like to experiment on one of those before I take another shot at AMD, but I'm not sure how to identify one without opening it up.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!