GoDaddy Hosting - Never.. Ever.... Ever again

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

GoDaddy Hosting - Never.. Ever.... Ever again

Post by Tazzi »

Who can guess what this rant is going to be about ?!?! :lol:

I have recently migrated from Godaddys so called "Business" hosting that had dedicated IP and resources which Iv run for a couple years now, and its been absolutely nothing but problems since day one.
My original plan with them was a shared hosting, which was 'ok' at first and actually got better with time :wtf:

So what I found out before I swapped over, is I was the last on the 'server' (Which is apparently a mini pc, like a NUC) to which they didnt have any openly indicated limits on the resources used. At this point, the website ran pretty smooth and fast which is understandable since I wasnt sharing with anyone else as it was such an old server/install/plan. I was encouraged to move to the business hosting with a good deal which was suppose to be 4x the web speed, dedicated resources ect so naturally I moved to the so called better server.... and the shit storm began... :roll:

So keep in mind, business hosting specs are: 2 cpus, 2Gb ram, 80gb ssd (I call bullshit on this), dedicated IP and SSL. My resources show I use only a few percent of cpu ever, 100Mb of ram and a few gigs of harddrive.

Since day 1, I have been hit with 503 errors about resources hitting their limits, yet non of the stats ever indicated anywhere near it (no spikes). Constant speed throttling below what was indicated which occurred slowly over time until filing a support ticket which it suddenly gets another boost for about 24hours.. and just bullshit page loading times. It got so bad, that stripe and paypal API calls back to the server were timing out so orders would fail :o

The final straw that broke the camels back from about 2days ago now.. where I had moved up the hierarchy of technicians until I was speaking to the server admin, which claimed it was my wordpress/woocomerce platform causing all the problems/delays/errors and not the server. To prove a point, I made a blank site.. just a HTML page.. that is all.. and the site would still take 8+seconds to load, to which the answer I got was "You must be using all your resources" with the website you have made.

So.. I cracked the shits, bought business hosting over at Hosting24, and can say I am VERY fucking happy with the end result. Literally copied the files across, pointed the domain name at the new server and its absolutely flying. No errors, no problems.. just smooth sailing.

Not sure what other hosting vendors people are using, but I can say Hosting24 with their cloud hosting absolutely shits on anything Godaddy provides.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Gareth

Re: GoDaddy Hosting - Never.. Ever.... Ever again

Post by Gareth »

That’s handy to know, saved me almost making the same mistake :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

yeah they're bad... they have also been known to do things such as you search for a domain name through them to check availability, they auto register it (or used to), then you have to pay premium to buy it from a 3rd party. another one is the advertised prices are just introductory offers and they go up after your locked in.

I use these guys: https://www.ransomit.com.au/ and am very happy. My needs are different as I dont need managed wordpress, and some of the winning is software (eg linux showing when you have stolen time (%st) - that is another vps use is cutting in to your share of cpu time even though you cant see the process in the other vm) and some of it is just that it is well managed in the first place. Once some script kiddie did get on another vps on the same host and thrash it, but I was able to show the %st and they move the VM quickly to another host. Problem solved.

top - 18:52:57 up 243 days, 5:48, 1 user, load average: 0.20, 0.25, 0.25
Tasks: 139 total, 1 running, 138 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu(s): 7.2%us, 1.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 91.1%id, 0.7%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Yeah the intro prices is still a thing, it goes up on the next renewal quite a bit.
I have gone halves in the new server with a buddy and moved his site onto it as well. We started the backup of its website at 6pm his time.... and Godaddy had is so throttled that the 2gb backup didnt finish till almost 3am. Once on the new server.. it solved all problems.

My next move will be to a VPS. I struggle quite a bit without a admin panel to navigate the server and do settings. I know it can be done in the shell but its stil a bit beyond me after my last saga getting setup with one.
Biggest issue I faced was after I installed apache, and then installed wordpress, I was unable to edit pages/options since apache did not have permission to make any chances in the HTML folder. It got a bit much for me after that :lol:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Another thing they do is if you do not have automatic re-enlistment (as I call it, ie: a credit card on file and automatic payment) they will not inform/warn you that your service contract is about to end, thus allowing it to run out, thus losing your domain name.

Then charging a fortune to get it back on top of the fortune for re-enlisting, they have you over a barrel at that point, you cannot change providers either or you will lose the name completely.

BTW, their pricing is partially based on lookup counts for that domain name ...

They are some dirty SOB's.

But I expect nothing less from people in this new world ... No morals, no scruples anything goes when it comes to making a buck, even pissing on those closest to you, family, friends ...

Now, I know your are setting there saying you're not that way ... Bet you work for a company that is, or know some one that is, do you do anything about it, no, you need your job, you don't want to ruffle feathers, you keep your mouth shut ... GUILTY!

Silence is as guilty as doing ...

Feed the beast it only gets bigger, STOP FEEDING THE BEAST!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

antus wrote:yeah they're bad... they have also been known to do things such as you search for a domain name through them to check availability, they auto register it (or used to), then you have to pay premium to buy it from a 3rd party. another one is the advertised prices are just introductory offers and they go up after your locked in.
I've heard some horror stories about them holding domain names to ransom too when you want to transfer to another registrar.
Tazzi wrote:My next move will be to a VPS. I struggle quite a bit without a admin panel to navigate the server and do settings.
I'm a bit of a control freak so I use unmanaged Linodes and just start with a clean install of Virtualmin which handles pretty much everything. If you want to pay a little extra you can get cPanel (although that has its own issues) and managed options for a VPS from them and other providers.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I have an ISP that provides a static IP (Exetel) and i have everything at home :) only got one person to blame when its not performing as it should (other than the network connection of course)

I am quite lucky as i have fibre to the door, so its pretty reliable and fast.

that said i do work in the IT industry and have to deal with plenty of 3rd party suppliers so i feel the pain!
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

OMG and I thought Alf Stewart was a dam good bloke. Stone the flamin crows.