Bosch LY7 (VE style) to Delco?

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
vxm
cars: 2005 Cadillac CTS LY7

Bosch LY7 (VE style) to Delco?

Post by vxm »

I have a US 2005 Cadillac CTS with the LY7 V6 similar to VE.

These cars are renowned for killing the Bosch ECM.

Is it possible to convert it to a Delco ECU and retain the cluster / BCM features like cruise control, traction control, coolant temp, fuel gauge?

My first one died in a way where jumping the starter relay caused the computer to start communicating and run (only after jumping in the fuse box would the check engine light come on).

Second one died where the car starts and runs, tach and speed work, but the traction control, coolant temp, fuel gauge don't. U1000 comms error when I scan it, and ECM is the one unit that doesn't respond with tech2. It also says VTD is locked because it can't comm with the ECM.

So, any hope here? Like, could I make an E38/E67/E40 replace the Bosch unit? Has anyone tried, or is it just me?
Gareth

Re: Bosch LY7 (VE style) to Delco?

Post by Gareth »

Never looked at converting to another PCM but they die here in our Commodore with LY7 all the time too, best option for long term solution is to replace with new.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vxm

Post by vxm »

Gareth wrote:Never looked at converting to another PCM but they die here in our Commodore with LY7 all the time too, best option for long term solution is to replace with new.
This is really helpful to know.

Which ones do your ly7 come with? Mine is a two connector (e55 I think?) staggered on opposite sides of the top case. I’ve seen some images of commodore with e77. Are e77 any more reliable?

I wish I knew what it was that was killing these things.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

I have 2 here that were repaired by injectronics couple of burnt components have been replaced in one by soldering in new ones. They die from water ingress into the plugs corroding the pins plus heat and vibration damaging the tiny laser welded wires inside and obviously the odd burnt up resistor inside going by the 2 I have open
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vxm

Post by vxm »

delcowizzid wrote:I have 2 here that were repaired by injectronics couple of burnt components have been replaced in one by soldering in new ones. They die from water ingress into the plugs corroding the pins plus heat and vibration damaging the tiny laser welded wires inside and obviously the odd burnt up resistor inside going by the 2 I have open
Interestingly, I was on the phone with ACDelco today as I was trying to program any one of the three e55 I have here.

I asked them why they aren't more robust, why they're so fragile.

I was asked if I had any aftermarket things installed. "Sure, a radio" - they were 100% confident that all aftermarket stuff is evil, and that it was talking on their bus, killing their PCM.

Fine, I'll disconnect the radio. Still not making any progress programming, but it's possible I need yet -another- ecm.
E55.png
E55.png (26.08 KiB) Viewed 8495 times
is what I'm dealing with. The pins don't appear corroded, and you'd think taking the connectors on and off a few times with some contact cleaner would overcome that. Any idea what burns inside, or what component fails?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

That looks to be the same PCM we have

Most of the ones I've replace have failed due to broken laser welded wires, crappy design.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

As others have said, I would say 99% fail due to the small wires between connectors and PCB breaking
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
vxm

Post by vxm »

Thank you both.

Soldering jumper wires to repair broken PCB was something I used to do on Walkmen tape players when I was younger. Any tips on whether or not I need a bench harness to program if I can repair this at all?
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Im lead to believe the wires/pins are stainless steel so can't be soldered.
They are also very small and fragile.

There's a company in Aus that repairs them, IM group / Injectronics. They have very expensive equipment for the job
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Here's 1 repaired one the yellow brick has been replaced hand soldered rough as lol. And looks like maybe the small batch of stainless wires top right been retouched
IMG_20200122_021156.jpg
IMG_20200122_021256.jpg
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem