Bosch LY7 (VE style) to Delco?

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
Gampy

Re: Bosch LY7 (VE style) to Delco?

Post by Gampy »

Stainless has to be Silver Soldered.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
vxm
cars: 2005 Cadillac CTS LY7

Post by vxm »

You guys are fantastic.

My plan is like this:

job 1: get a working replacement ECU programmed. need to get the car back up and running.

job 2: I have a friend with a microscope who does SMT soldering regularly. have him repair two or three of the ECU I have here already (dependent on whether I have to use one as a core for job 1.)

job 3: think more about whether or not I could replace e55 with something like an e67 - e67 has been used on this 3.6L engine, but would I be able to program it with my VIN, and would I be able to have it interface correctly with the rest of the car (gauges, bcm, etc.)

Should I make up a bench harness or keep programming in car using laptop / tech2?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Tech2 isn't the best tool for the job, infact, I don't think it can actually do the job anymore, programming speed is too slow? Not sure, anyway I used to use Tech2 back in the day but started having programming failures after MDI was released. I brought a Drewtech Cardaq pass thru, Fixed all my programming issues.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vxm

Post by vxm »

Gareth wrote:Tech2 isn't the best tool for the job, infact, I don't think it can actually do the job anymore, programming speed is too slow? Not sure, anyway I used to use Tech2 back in the day but started having programming failures after MDI was released. I brought a Drewtech Cardaq pass thru, Fixed all my programming issues.
Wow. I got the Tech2 in December. So far, it's worked fine programming other modules in the car, and gets about 75% before failing on these failed ECU. Using passthrough fails at about 20% - but again, they're suspect ECM.

And yes, the data moves slowly. But MDI was released in 2009 for 2010. Working on a 2005 should be alright, you'd think?

A couple of years ago when I was dealing with this same problem, AC Delco told me that I needed a tech2. That using a J-Box wouldn't work. I was using VCXDIAG NANO at the time and online SPS programming.

Yesterday when I spoke with them, they said they prefer online passthrough, that using the Tech2 for remote should work, but they prefer passthrough and online sps. They said the tech2 should work fine for this. I hate getting conflicting info. I'd have just gotten an MDI or tried the VCXDIAG again if I knew tech2 wasn't approved.

Looking into it, MDI can flash faster, but only if the car it's connected to is new enough. Even so, this should work.

The Drewtech is a nice piece of equipment. Well outside my budget, but very nice.
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

delcowizzid wrote:Here's 1 repaired one the yellow brick has been replaced hand soldered rough as lol. And looks like maybe the small batch of stainless wires top right been retouched
IMG_20200122_021156.jpg
IMG_20200122_021256.jpg
Funny aye, thats one of the injectronics ecus and thats how they soldered it haha
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

Post by vn5000 »

vxm wrote:So far, it's worked fine programming other modules in the car, and gets about 75% before failing on these failed ECU. Using passthrough fails at about 20% - but again, they're suspect ECM.
I had exactly the same problem recently programming e55 pcms .
Programming routine should have been

Erase all modules
Flash o/system module
Flash calibration module
Flash slave module

Tech 2 would write os module then write cal module , it would stop programming at end of cal module (75%) with error and not write slave

I monitored can bus while programming and found that the entire cal module was uploaded with every byte being 0xff , the pcm would then give checksum error message to tech 2 and programming ceased. Os module was valid data and slave wasn't written

I wrote this app to solve the problem
Attachments
e55 ecu flash tool.jpg
e55 ecu flash tool.jpg (83.99 KiB) Viewed 6923 times
vxm

Post by vxm »

OK, this is really interesting, vn5000!

I used ACDelcoDTS' online subscription (40 USD for 2 years, covering one VIN) and managed to program a fresh ACDelco-remanufactured e55.

I was using win10 laptop->USB ftdi->tech2 clone->Candi->OBD2 port. What made it work after all my failed attempts? I changed the cable that came with the tech2 clone from their rj45 flat gray cable for a common cat5e cable.

I disconnected radio, climate control, and BCM prior to programming.

I still suspect the tech2 rs232, since I can't program remotely with it. It fails at that 75% module 4 area.
I'm getting a fresh maxim 232ese+ that I may replace in the tool. Yes, I probably need a proper j2534 device. I'm on a budget. I found 3x cardaq 2534 on Ebay for $99, but they haven't been supported in 10 years, and I would need to make up cables for them.

Tell me more about your application?
Where do you have the OS / firmware from for the e55?
How could I use it / would it work for my application?
This is -very- interesting to me.
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

vn5000 wrote:
vxm wrote:So far, it's worked fine programming other modules in the car, and gets about 75% before failing on these failed ECU. Using passthrough fails at about 20% - but again, they're suspect ECM.
I had exactly the same problem recently programming e55 pcms .
Programming routine should have been

Erase all modules
Flash o/system module
Flash calibration module
Flash slave module

Tech 2 would write os module then write cal module , it would stop programming at end of cal module (75%) with error and not write slave

I monitored can bus while programming and found that the entire cal module was uploaded with every byte being 0xff , the pcm would then give checksum error message to tech 2 and programming ceased. Os module was valid data and slave wasn't written

I wrote this app to solve the problem
Does your program receive the immo code as per picture? For the likes of ecus that for eg dont hold a vin (security linking without actually being Tis'd) and or for unknown immo's etc? Pain when I receive a ecu with a incorrectly programmed vin or no vin and I cant delink it.

If so I'd be interested in purchasing?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

ditto
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

Post by vn5000 »

vxm wrote:I used ACDelcoDTS' online subscription (40 USD for 2 years, covering one VIN) and managed to program a fresh ACDelco-remanufactured e55.
I had programmed them before with tis and had no problem as well , maybe most of there files are complete but some are missing cal segment
vxm wrote:Where do you have the OS / firmware from for the e55?
I use this tool to read and save the bin file , there is also a tool that Tazzie wrote that enables you to read bin using elm
hsv08 wrote:Does your program receive the immo code as per picture?
No , but to reset pcm you enter security code if known and click "Reset ECU" , if code is not known it will try all 10000 possibilities until found , catch is app needs to wait 30 sec before each retry. The 2007 ve e77 has very similar code structure to e55 and you can pull the security code using 0x1A7A command , however e55 wont spit it out with that command , neither does any e77 after 2007.

App is just a personal tool at the moment that uses my custom can bus cable , unfortunately not for sale at presently