VY Flash ECU for Turbo

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Gerry.M
cars: VY II Exec V6 Sedan
VF II Calais V V6 Wagon

VY Flash ECU for Turbo

Post by Gerry.M »

Hi all,

I'm after some advice on which direction to go in with my V6 VY (n/a) which I intend on turboing sometime this year.
At the moment I'm trying to do as much research as possible and think I have a fairly good idea of what I need to do, but am a bit stuck now on using the flash based ECU.
From reading through all the topics I can find related to VY's and their flash based ECU's on this site, they sound like a p.i.t.a :)
- Flashing can brick them if not done right
- Lots of noise on the bus can make it hard to log the data you actually need
- Not real time, so if I take it to a shop to get a tune would they be willing to sit there and reflash it with each change etc

I'm happy to play around with it myself to do the initial tune, but figure it would be better to put it on a dyno and get a professional tune at some point which is why I made that last point.

So my question is should I move ahead with this car/build with the intention of using the Delco ECU, or look at alternatives? Have many others done a turbo in a VY with the factory ECU, and if so what are your thoughts?
Failing that, what is involved in plugging in a 3rd party ECU in a V6 VY?
delcowizzid

Re: VY Flash ECU for Turbo

Post by delcowizzid »

You can repin the plugs to suit an l67 vt vx vy ecu and run the 1s enhanced vy l67 tune on the nvram setup from here if you want real-time tuning it will speed up your tuning process a lot and the tune is a pretty good starting point
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
cars: VY s L67
Haines Hunter - not a car but still a toy

Post by 0081 »

If you are going to get a shop to tune it you are best to talk with them as not all shops will tune all kinds PCM's when it comes to the delco.

I run a flash PCM on a heavily modded L67 and the only pain is the non real time. It's not all that bad just not ideal.

I have not bricked one in hundreds of flashes
Gerry.M
VF II Calais V V6 Wagon

Post by Gerry.M »

Thanks both for the replies.
@0081 - Yep, reading more on the subject, I'm more confident than I was yesterday and am happy to continue down this path.
I found some of the existing enhanced tunes on this site which may suit what I need (at least as a starting point) which is good so I'll look at those

Cheers,
Gerry
Gerry.M
VF II Calais V V6 Wagon

Post by Gerry.M »

delcowizzid wrote:You can repin the plugs to suit an l67 vt vx vy ecu and run the 1s enhanced vy l67 tune on the nvram setup from here if you want real-time tuning it will speed up your tuning process a lot and the tune is a pretty good starting point
I've been thinking more about the above, and I'm now thinking I'd be better off doing this and re-pinning the loom to suit an earlier ecu.
I found some instructions on commodoregears website, but does anyone on here have a mapping diagram to do this instead?
Also, can someone clarify something for me - to do the above I'd need to:
  • IGet hold of a VT/VX/VY L67 ECU
  • Repin the VY loom to suit the earlier plugs
  • Plug in an NVRAM into the ECU and put that in the car
  • Flash in my existing bin, then flash in the VY L67 tune?
It's the last point I'm confused about.

So far I've backed up and flashed my existing flash based ecu into a spare from the wreckers as I had originally planned to go that way.
I can now make changes to that and understand how that process works, so just wondering what the difference is when starting with an ecu from an earlier car.
Do I flash my bin into it to at least get it running? The tune I can worry about later.

Thanks,
Gerry
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

I very much doubt the O/S bin from a Flash PCM is going to be compatible with an earlier memcal PCM (which is what I presume is being suggested).

You'd need to upload (is that possible? maybe not) or burn a compatible enhanced O/S bin to the memcal/NVRAM as your starting point. Then figure out how to do the cal.

Joe.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

All the info should be on here, I think I made up a sheet to re-pin flash PCM to memcal based but there’s also a harness The1 does that’s a patch in without having to re-pin!

Once on memcal based its all easy no flashing just oldskool memcal tuning
cars: VY s L67
Haines Hunter - not a car but still a toy

Post by 0081 »

There is an excel spread sheet on here which shows what's needed to repin a flash PCM loom to a memcal loom.
You will need a pcm and plugs.

As I understand it you can use any VT VX or VY (non flash) pcm and a navram. Program the navram with a VY SC bin and tune that.
You wont use your current bin file.

May be best to start with the PCM you have until you get a good understanding as it wont cost you anything. If all is going well you can mod the loom and it wont be that hard to transfer everything over
Gerry.M
VF II Calais V V6 Wagon

Post by Gerry.M »

Thanks for the replies.

@0081- cool, I'll have a look and find that spreadsheet. So far I have been playing around with the stock ecu to a point, taken some logs to understand how it's all working and made some small changes, which I'll continue to do.
I was thinking I needed my bin cos that's what I've done cloned the spare ecu with so far, but understand with vats removed it doesn't matter.

While I am on a bit of a learning curve, I work in software so looking at TunerPro actually makes a lot of sense (not so different to what we do) - I'm also coming up to speed with more "modern" cars and how they work. :)
My last modified car was an XY Ford with a Cleveland so changing my thinking from carbies, dizzy's and cams to doing all that control in the ECU is new but not that difficult to understand.
The1

Post by The1 »

If it was my car id first look for a VY V6 L67 engine loom, if you found one at reasonable price then just swap it over. Otherwise then go down path of swapping loom plugs over, get a VT V6 ECU and Loom plugs then remove all the old pins, then start swapping your pins into the new plugs using the spreadsheet. Then drop the VY V6 L67 nvram in with enhanced mod code, same for a VX just use the VX L67 enhanced code.

Here's spreadsheet
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3641