antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: PowerPCM_Flasher: my tool for E38 and E67

Post by antus »

There is a thread describing the process an anonymous 3rd party used to reverse engineer the seed/key stuff here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5876&p=98749

Support for different PCMs usually means identifying the processor, mapping out the memory ranges to read and write, and creating code to read and write the flash memory and send it out the vehicle data bus. Once a similar platform has been done, usually to support another means figuring out whats different and updating the existing code to work on the new pcm. Then there is pc code needed to talk to the pcm and a database of some type to give the pc app the ability to identify what its talking to and do the appropriate things, including sending the right flash kernel for that platform.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
daniel2345

Post by daniel2345 »

Thanks Antus.

Im currently not developing anything further, situation is getting serious here (Corona).

My impression is, that you all should be able to test/use my prog?

Im currently not planing to support any other ECU than E38 and E67.
But maybe some day...

Stay healthy, best regards.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Good Luck Daniel, I appreciate all your hard work but F that... stay healthy man.
-Carl
p.s. keep us posted if you can, sometimes over here in the states it's hard to trust the media.
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

Good luck with the corona, Just starting here, everything is closed including schools and restaurants except for delivery and carry out.. trying to stop it before it starts..

Thanks again for everything you've given us, hopefully you come back to visit again!!!
daniel2345

Post by daniel2345 »

Hi.

Not much new over here.

Almost all are at home due to corona. Still not boring, enough to do at house and yard :)

Had some time at night left, so i decided to do some little things.

I implemented flashloader (kernel) running check.
I implemented import of .cal file.
Stuck at HPT format.

Im not sure if to progress with frame formating by my prog or by tool.
By tool was faster but i can't react to failures in tool firmware...

Ironduke is playing around with ELM, but so far my guess is that it is way too slow...
ironduke

Post by ironduke »

I am leap years behind you and Tazzi, but I have managed to get your kernel pushed to the ecu and can download the flash with processing and nothing more than an elm327 running 115,200.. very rudimentary but I just wanted to see if it was possible.. This is 2 different bad elm327's that don't have the STN chip and pcm hammer refuses to talk to, lol..

I am using delays which I understand is a definite no no but I just started playing around with some code I had that played around with the seed and key and just kept going with it.. I ended up turning off responses when I push the kernel, I couldn't get around it.. The elm seems to push the same message lots of times if it doesn't see a response and that was killing it.. Might be a way around it, but so far it seems pretty error free and I check for a running kernel at the end.. I've failed enough times and locked the ecu up a hundred times.. power cycle and it's coming back to life every time so if it does fail it's not the end of the world.. right??? lol

Cleaning it up now but it takes about 15 seconds to push the kernel and about 16 minutes to read flash without errors.. I tried tightening the timing and it read but I did have errors.. Should probably loosen it up even more to account for different elm327's and systems.. Simply put I need to read the flash in sections or I get buffer full errors since your kernel pushes it out so fast.. Depending on which elm I use and the baud rate I can get different chunks of data but if I run at 500,000 and get bigger chunks I get more errors and need to increase the timings so any performance increase gets lost.. steady and dependable at 115,200.. Might try bluetooth at 38,400 if I get bored enough..

My toyota clone J2534 device is bricked, I am waiting on another to check, but with your software working with the genuine and clone GM MDI it should work with that as well, and for how cheap the clone toyota J2534 is, I'm not sure how much work you want to put into using an elm327..

I'll send you a copy of what I have once it's cleaned up and a few comments are added so you can play with it.. I'm sure it's below your level of code, lol maybe you'll have a few pointers for me..

I'm working on figuring out how to access com ports with c++ or maybe even c# but I am just trying to use command line code at this point.. creating a gui is over my head at this point..

Also trying to find some info on how to use the J2534 device and access it myself.. I have no idea how to use a dll, yet...

Thanks again for providing this software, it's very useful and it's just plain awesome to see it pulling the flas hand writing it back.. I have 2 bins for my truck, summer and winter tires so I can use this twice a year to change it over so my speedo and shifts are correct..
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya's,
I don't have a J2534 device and I have had no luck using the ELM/obdlink sx(it does have the STN chip updated to latest firmware). I have an AVT I could experiment with if you like.
ironduke

Post by ironduke »

In-Tech wrote:Hiya's,
I don't have a J2534 device and I have had no luck using the ELM/obdlink sx(it does have the STN chip updated to latest firmware). I have an AVT I could experiment with if you like.
The latest version he has uploaded for us is 6 and as far as I can tell serial port communication is still not working as I can't get it to even try to talk to an elm device He did say something about typing in the Com port manually but it hasn't worked for me.. Daniel has done some further work with that and some other improvements but hasn't came out with a release yet.. I am hopeful when he gets some spare time he can continue working/improving

How does an AVT connect? serial port? does it use the same command set as an elm327??
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

My old serial port AVT doesn't do CAN. The newer one I have is usb and does CAN. I think the AVT is kinda all by itself. I'm pretty sure there is a protocol pdf on the site. http://www.avt-hq.com/site_map.htm
I tried the same com port stuff with my elm/obdlink device to no avail. Daniel's software only goes to com4 so had to move some stuff. No biggie was just wanting to check out his new stuff. :)

Here is a document of how to disable and move usb com ports in case anyone needs it.
Make COM ports available.pdf
(373.75 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
daniel2345

Post by daniel2345 »

Hehe, yes - there is a bug in the Version 0.0.0.6 with the Com Port selection.

I will update that along with a newer version when im able to at least read the ECU with my completely standard ELM.

I guess in a few days. Tonight i just spend some time with beer and the Netflix account of my wife :D