GM E38 E67 E40 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by Tazzi »

In-Tech wrote:Tazzi, the more I think about this, the more I like it. I'll dig out my bga crap and see what my 80 pin stuff is. For me that will decide if I use the 9 x 11, or 11 x 13 sized bga instead of the PQFP footprint. Then I can have some adapter boards made using some pins placed where you were attaching to the original PQFP footprint on the bottom of the board. So, again, curious what all you hooked up to accomplish that great task you did. Thinking this type of thing might be useful in next gen stuff too. I can make up a big handful of these and give them out to all the interested parties here.
So I soldered all the legs, using 30awg wire. It took quite some time to do.

I think the spacing is 0.3mm.. maybe? Assuming that can be put onto a pcb.. would just press on.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Tazzi,
Man I can't imagine soldering all 80 of those wires and that tiny 30 gauge hurts my head. I would have done this :wall: :mrgreen:

Here are the specs of the qfp package and bga.
QFP package
17mm x 23mm pads
14mm x 20mm body
18mm x 24mm pins
80 pin .8mm pin spacing center to center(that's what the spec sheet says, I think it's .65mm but whatever)

BGA package
11mm x 13mm body or
9mm x 11mm
80 pin

There are some seriously small needle tip pogo pins available and I think if I use the 9mm x 11mm bga we will be able to put these tiny pogo pins all the way around the bga and just push this daughter board down onto the bottom of the ecu, we will be fine. Also, instead of worrying about having the right bga adapter for my programmer I can just program a few of them ICP on the daughter board.

When you did yours did you just cut one of the wires when you were ready or what do you recommend the procedure to be? A small momentary switch on the daughter board comes to mind. Anyway, this will take a bit to get accomplished but I like your idea and it would be a great thing for all of us to have in our "toolboxes"
julespatch
cars: liberty gen 5

Post by julespatch »

ironduke wrote:If I get time this week I am going to pull out my BDM tool and see if this works on my bricked E38..

Nice find on the BDM pdf!

Has anyone tried it? Ive got 2 wrong os scrambled e38s here I'm happy to donate to the cause. One is completely trashed from opening but could still be hooked up to BDM
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

julespatch wrote:
ironduke wrote:If I get time this week I am going to pull out my BDM tool and see if this works on my bricked E38..

Nice find on the BDM pdf!

Has anyone tried it? Ive got 2 wrong os scrambled e38s here I'm happy to donate to the cause. One is completely trashed from opening but could still be hooked up to BDM
lol.. Don't thank me. that was all In-Tech.. I just chimed in on his findings... Gotta find time to try it though!!
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

The USB BDM NT isn't here yet so I'm curious what you guys find out. I can't seem to find any software for the bdm100 I bought that isn't full of virus and app deleting crap. I visited with the USB BDM NT guy online on his website which was very nice and can't wait to try it.

Hey Tazzi, didn't you say you got an E92? Is it an E92 or E92A? Any plans on how to get the micro welded bottom plate off? It's pretty neat how they do that.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Pics e92 backing plate.
20200327_031901_1585304596718.jpg
20200327_031901_1585304596718.jpg (83.39 KiB) Viewed 3741 times
20200327_031848_1585304597187.jpg
20200327_031848_1585304597187.jpg (89.76 KiB) Viewed 3741 times
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Im a bit confused, so its welded on? It cant be pried apart??

*Edit
Oh wow.. I just took a closer look at mine.. looks like it was welded then milled to smooth finish.

Hmm.... Im going to have to cut it open.. but hope I dont cut any components on board...
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

I'm going to try one with a small bit in the mill. GM got it from nasa
https://www.nasa.gov/topics/nasalife/friction_stir.html

My "donor" ebay e92 seemed dead dead dead, tunercat couldn't see it, scanner couldn't see it then as a last ditch efilive saw it was an e92. Woah, so then I tried to read it in efi and it read, very mysterious, it acted like it read a pretty big chunk in just a few seconds, then continued on like normal. Of course the file was junk, only saw the OS. It gave me a bit of hope so I used the recover function in tunercat and about an hour and a half later it finished, no vin, no seed, no traceability etc. So, I wrote it again(with a 2014 file I had just read out of another e92) and now it programmed in about 20 minutes and populated modules 1-6. Did it again and this time it wrote the vin and traceability came back although a different number than the donor 2014 file. So, I guess what I am saying is it's breathing a little life now but still a good donor ;)
I'm not sure I will have time to mill the back plate off this weekend but I'll try, paying jobs come first since who knows in the current climate when that will dry up.

I would like to talk more about the "slave" chip you did. If this isn't a good place, we can pm or I can start another thread. The small 9mm x 11mm BGA chips look to have never been made so I will order some 11mm x 13mm bga's next week then have a few boards made for pogo sticks as money allows. NSFW's 3d printed jig for the Blue/red and Blue/green PCM's is super cool and would be nice to do that for the e38, e67 and e92 too if we can figure out the bdm stuff for it.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Just thinking outloud about the mirror image required since we are dealing with the bottom side of the board. Kinda throws a wrench it how to make the bga adaptor board.

So, maybe something like this to start and just use the qfp package. :study:

QFP_IPC0139_0.JPG
QFP_IPC0139_0.JPG (238.2 KiB) Viewed 3650 times
QFP_IPC0139_1.JPG
QFP_IPC0139_1.JPG (201.19 KiB) Viewed 3650 times
QFP_IPC0139-KIT_0.JPG
QFP_IPC0139-KIT_0.JPG (485.46 KiB) Viewed 3650 times
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

You should be able to buy 0.8mm spaced headers. There are really small obviously but they can be bought.

Will need to design a custom PCB to have the QPF pads on one end of the pcb, and have the traces run to the through-hole headers which will press onto the PCB.

Could even use a couple of the mounting screw holes as guides actually so it holds in in the exact place, although this is getting to a fairly high level o precision!