Diagnostic on VR V8 in VL

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
yoda69
Posts: 1226
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:20 am
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual
Location: Geelong, VIC

Re: Diagnostic on VR V8 in VL

Post by yoda69 »

Pin 4 & 5 are both normally joined together grounded, not sure if this will make a difference.
bck2basic
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 am
cars: VL calais

Re: Diagnostic on VR V8 in VL

Post by bck2basic »

I don't have a pin 4 on my connector. There's pin 1 5 6 9 13 and 16

Deffinatly getting 0hz, using vr $11 v1.01 and vr $12 v1.03 tp5 tunerpro is connecting even when the cable isn't in the diagnostic connector.

If I use any other vr adx, it will just stay on connecting, while the cable is in or unplugged, I've left it like that for about 5 minutes with no change.

I tried the flashtool and I can't get any communication either.

Could I have got a faulty cable?
yoda69
Posts: 1226
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:20 am
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual
Location: Geelong, VIC

Re: Diagnostic on VR V8 in VL

Post by yoda69 »

Another thought, check that you have the right wires, on a VR manual wiring should have:
ALDL Pin 6 - White/black to pin A9 on ECU
ALDL Pin 9 - Red/Black to pin A8 on ECU

May be a chance you have tapped into the other Red/Black wire which is +12V to the ECU on Pins B1 & C16.
Can possibly check with a Multimeter if Pin 9 on your OBD connector has 12V with the ignition on?
EDIT: Also do a continuity checks between Pin 9 on OBD connector an A8 at ECU.
bck2basic
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 am
cars: VL calais

Re: Diagnostic on VR V8 in VL

Post by bck2basic »

I tapped into the wires coming off of the white connector near the ecu, the white and black is deffinatly right, because if I bridge pins 5 and 6 on diagnostic connector my cel starts flashing, and the red black wire isn't 12v. I don't have a multimeter, but my test light doesn't light up as much compared to a 12v signal. I even tried a wire going straight from pin a8 or a7 whatever it is at the ecu to the diagnostic pin 9 and still nothing.
yoda69
Posts: 1226
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:20 am
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual
Location: Geelong, VIC

Re: Diagnostic on VR V8 in VL

Post by yoda69 »

By the sounds of that your getting signal to the OBD plug, so either a cable issue or a computer setup issue.
Basics to check, although I think you've covered this but bear with me:
* Double check using right COM port
* Using flashtool, set up COM port and setup Vehicle as "VR on Bench" and interface "USB ALDL"
* Try Connecting to ECU
* If no connection, untick "Ignore Echo" and try again

If this doesn't work sounds like an interface issue.
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Diagnostic on VR V8 in VL

Post by delcowizzid »

what kind of cable are you using
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
bck2basic
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 am
cars: VL calais

Re: Diagnostic on VR V8 in VL

Post by bck2basic »

I did try that and same thing I get no response com3 closed.

What do you mean by interface?
bck2basic
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 am
cars: VL calais

Re: Diagnostic on VR V8 in VL

Post by bck2basic »

yoda69
Posts: 1226
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:20 am
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual
Location: Geelong, VIC

Re: Diagnostic on VR V8 in VL

Post by yoda69 »

I think you'll need to go back to the seller and see if he can help out further.
It does sound like an interface or COM port issue.
bck2basic
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 am
cars: VL calais

Re: Diagnostic on VR V8 in VL

Post by bck2basic »

Ok, I hooked up the cable to my cousins vt and it works so the problem exists in my car.

Ill run over what I have.

I have a vr hsv manual ecu with a memcal that has v8 standard tune written on it. I have no bcm and as far as I know manuals don't have a pcm? (Is that correct)

My diagnostic terminal has pin 1 5 6 9 13 and 16. Pin 1 is not hooked up (white/blue wire) pin 5 is ground (which is deffinatly grounded) pin 6 is white black (which deffinatly works because if I bridge pin 5 and 6 the cel flashes codes) pin 9 is black/red (which has 5v when ign is on) pin 13 is brown (which isn't hooked up) and pin 16 is orange/white (which has constant 12v)

I hooked the coloured wires up to their corresponding wires down at the white plug near ecu. There aren't any shorts.

Now what I can think of is that I need the cel hooked up to the diagnostic connector, or the pins aren't in the right spot (I pulled the diagnostic connector out of a vr or vs v6), or I have no bcm and or the adx file needs one, I have a vn memcal (even though I tried my genuine vr hsv bfpm memcal but had no luck, but that could be due to the vats and no bcm or the memcal could be blank)

Id really like some help as I need to get this sorted so I can get a vass.