vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: HSV VS GTS cable to hydraulic setup

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:I'm the exact opposite, I want to fit a T56 box to my Senator but want a cable clutch as I don't like the pedal feel with a hydraulic set up.

yeah I prefer cable as well. It feels better and more feedback. hydraulic feels like the the clutch is stuffed.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Helical
cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck)

Post by Helical »

I just hate the squeaking from the cable clutch, more so I hat my mates asking why my ute squeaks when I use the clutch or just laughing everytime I change gears.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Helical wrote:I just hate the squeaking from the cable clutch, more so I hat my mates asking why my ute squeaks when I use the clutch or just laughing everytime I change gears.

Pull the clutch cable out, soak it some petrol or something similar (that doesn't attack plastics) and work backwards and forwards to work the dirt/crap out of the cable, then dry it out and use some graphite powder (dry lubricant) on the cable and work it into the clutch cable. Also strip, clean and lubricate the clutch pedal/pivot with some graphite grease.

I've broken a few clutch cables in my time (good reason to learn to drive without a clutch), but I started cleaning out clutch cables and the operation becomes much smoother and actually seem to last now.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:
Helical wrote:I just hate the squeaking from the cable clutch, more so I hat my mates asking why my ute squeaks when I use the clutch or just laughing everytime I change gears.

Pull the clutch cable out, soak it some petrol or something similar (that doesn't attack plastics) and work backwards and forwards to work the dirt/crap out of the cable, then dry it out and use some graphite powder (dry lubricant) on the cable and work it into the clutch cable. Also strip, clean and lubricate the clutch pedal/pivot with some graphite grease.

I've broken a few clutch cables in my time (good reason to learn to drive without a clutch), but I started cleaning out clutch cables and the operation becomes much smoother and actually seem to last now.

its not the cable, its the clevis on the end of the cable that has not been lubed before hooking it on the pedal. that also will make them break there is they are dry as the clevis sticks and bends the cable at the clevis.

A dab of moly paste on the clevis pivot point and you're done! Do the same at the clutch fork end.

All my cable clutches are smooth and quiet and easy to press. But I can still feel friction point and get nice feel to whats happening at the clutch. I never broke a cable in my life, did break a clutch fork once though.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

There's nothing wrong with the feel of a hydraulic clutch release if set up correctly. Its still a mechanical linkage and has just as much feel as a cable; if you set up a cable with the wrong lever ratios then it will feel wrong (or not have any feel at all) in exactly the same way. Just because so many people set them up wrong doesn't mean you have to if you want to use one!
immortality

Post by immortality »

vlad01 wrote:
immortality wrote:

its not the cable, its the clevis on the end of the cable that has not been lubed before hooking it on the pedal. that also will make them break there is they are dry as the clevis sticks and bends the cable at the clevis.

A dab of moly paste on the clevis pivot point and you're done! Do the same at the clutch fork end.

All my cable clutches are smooth and quiet and easy to press. But I can still feel friction point and get nice feel to whats happening at the clutch. I never broke a cable in my life, did break a clutch fork once though.
Both clutch cables I broke showed a lot of wear on the cables and did not pull freely through the outer cable, my replacement (2nd hand, it was free) was also stiff until I gave it the treatment. I do agree though, lubing all friction points is off benefit for quiet free operation.
Last edited by immortality on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
immortality

Post by immortality »

VK_3800 wrote:There's nothing wrong with the feel of a hydraulic clutch release if set up correctly. Its still a mechanical linkage and has just as much feel as a cable; if you set up a cable with the wrong lever ratios then it will feel wrong (or not have any feel at all) in exactly the same way. Just because so many people set them up wrong doesn't mean you have to if you want to use one!
How do you adjust a hydraulic clutch? not really a lot of adjustment, master?slave cylinder sizes is not something that is adjustable. The factory hydraulic clutches I have used have not felt nice, lack of feedback, you really don't feel the point the clutch engages etc I'm really not interested in stuffing around with different MC sizes etc to improve it.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I have noticed that on genuine cables, looks like they get grease or have had grease put in them. They all been stiff

So far I have only have aftermarket cables running in my car as the genuine are SO hard to find, last NOS one I saw on ebay was in 2010. The aftermarket ones I used are slippery as hell, completely dry with no lube. it has by the looks a moly impregnated Teflon jacket on the inner wire and nylon by the looks of in for the inner conduit. Mine still slides under its own weight even though its stretched (incorrectly set fork, thats why the fork broke) and has the outer pvc jacket burns away to bare metal from the exhaust and over 150k of use over a couple of year.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Yeah, the cables I broke, the coating on the cable was worn through. Not sure how genuine cables are done but I used a dry lube compound. Never tried a new cable.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

$85 for new aftermarket.