So does the factory VN loom have heaps of crap in it that wont be needed, of is it all required?
Pretty much the engine will be stock, no need to go wild even though I always get carried away! haha
If, so example, I change the cam, the comp will need to be re tuned I'm guessing?
If it were to stay as a stock computer, who actually tunes it, or does it just do it itself provided filters are clean and plugs are good etc...
Cheers...
Matt
VS 5L into 2a Landrover
-
67panel
- Posts: 46
- Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:20 am
- cars: 68 SWB Series 2a Landrover
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover
There's some small gains to be had tuning a stock engine but if you don't plan any mods maybe save your money on the tuning gear. I quoted them as you said you wanted to tune it yourself. Which im all for. A stock motor is ideal to learn on for tuning.
The loom has little excess probably AC wiring is about it. But you may want to run AC?
There's wiring diagrams on here for the loom. If you keen to do it yourself have a look at them and ask questions.
I've done it a million times and im sure other's on here have.
The loom has little excess probably AC wiring is about it. But you may want to run AC?
There's wiring diagrams on here for the loom. If you keen to do it yourself have a look at them and ask questions.
I've done it a million times and im sure other's on here have.
-
67panel
- Posts: 46
- Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:20 am
- cars: 68 SWB Series 2a Landrover
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon
Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover
Thanks Dylan and all, sounds like the easiest way to go is to keep it stock, though I really like the sound of being able to tune myself.
I'll try get a loom and computer this weekend and get this ball rolling.
I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions as I go.
Oh, I'm guessing I'll need to run a couple of temp senders for example, one for the computer and one for me aftermarket gauge?
And do I need to have a o2 sensor in the exhaust if just running the stock set up?
M
I'll try get a loom and computer this weekend and get this ball rolling.
I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions as I go.
Oh, I'm guessing I'll need to run a couple of temp senders for example, one for the computer and one for me aftermarket gauge?
And do I need to have a o2 sensor in the exhaust if just running the stock set up?
M
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover
Yeah run an o2. There's 2 threads in a stock intake at the front. One for ecu otuer for the dash.
The tacho can hook up as normal. Id recomend setting up for tuning and having a go if you can spare the money.
Once you've done yours do some mate's cars and get some cash back.
The tacho can hook up as normal. Id recomend setting up for tuning and having a go if you can spare the money.
Once you've done yours do some mate's cars and get some cash back.
-
67panel
- Posts: 46
- Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:20 am
- cars: 68 SWB Series 2a Landrover
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon
Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover
haha,
I'll do that.
Cheers Dylan, I'll be a good learning curve for the next one I do.
When it comes time to installing, I'll most likely have a heap more questions!
Cheers...
Matt
I'll do that.
Cheers Dylan, I'll be a good learning curve for the next one I do.
When it comes time to installing, I'll most likely have a heap more questions!
Cheers...
Matt
-
67panel
- Posts: 46
- Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:20 am
- cars: 68 SWB Series 2a Landrover
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon
Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover
Ok, so I got the engine on the weekend and turns out it comes with the wiring loom from the vehicle and the computer, including the BCM.
The VS Commodore it came out of was a manual, so can only assume its a manual comp.
Is this ok to use, or should I still go down the VN loom and computer route?
Cheers...
Matt
The VS Commodore it came out of was a manual, so can only assume its a manual comp.
Is this ok to use, or should I still go down the VN loom and computer route?
Cheers...
Matt
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover
You struck gold there mate. That's perfect. Keep that ecu and loom.
Now modify this loom to be powered up by the new car. Id also recomend wiring in an OBD plug.
With the ecu are you still wanting to tune yourself?
If so you can solder a wire in the ecu and run an NVRAM set up.
Or buy a burner and re burn the memcal everytime you make changes.
Now modify this loom to be powered up by the new car. Id also recomend wiring in an OBD plug.
With the ecu are you still wanting to tune yourself?
If so you can solder a wire in the ecu and run an NVRAM set up.
Or buy a burner and re burn the memcal everytime you make changes.
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover
Post up a pic of the ecu we will confirm if it is a manual ecu or a VN one.
With the wiring for the engine loom where do you want to power it up from?
Under the dash or in the bay? I usually wire them up for under dash connection and move the ignition module wiring under the dash as well. You need to look after them things.
With the wiring for the engine loom where do you want to power it up from?
Under the dash or in the bay? I usually wire them up for under dash connection and move the ignition module wiring under the dash as well. You need to look after them things.
-
67panel
- Posts: 46
- Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:20 am
- cars: 68 SWB Series 2a Landrover
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon
Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover
Thanks Dylan,
I'll post a pic of the computer as soon as I can.
Ok, so a couple more questions...
What is a NVRAM set up and a OBD plug?
Also, it came with an O2 sensor already, is that one good to use or is there an aftermarket one that's better suited?
Yes, if I can keep it tunable that would be preferred.
The vehicle hasn't got a roof, so I'll have to find somewhere it'll be safe n sound.
M
I'll post a pic of the computer as soon as I can.
Ok, so a couple more questions...
What is a NVRAM set up and a OBD plug?
Also, it came with an O2 sensor already, is that one good to use or is there an aftermarket one that's better suited?
Yes, if I can keep it tunable that would be preferred.
The vehicle hasn't got a roof, so I'll have to find somewhere it'll be safe n sound.
M
-
Dylan
- Posts: 3364
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
- cars: VR Commodore V8
Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover
I linked to an nvram in previous page. It gives you teal gime tuning and write any changes from laptop no burnin needed.
The replacement O2's are ok just get a new one from local parts shop.
OBD2 plug is used for diagnostics. Its how scan tools and interfaces connect to the ecu.
The replacement O2's are ok just get a new one from local parts shop.
OBD2 plug is used for diagnostics. Its how scan tools and interfaces connect to the ecu.