Fuel tank

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Fuel tank

Post by HQ355 »

I've got plenty of options for breathers, new fuel pump has outlet, return and breather and then the original HQ ones so i'l be blocking some off !
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Fuel tank

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i ran external pump, no surge tank, it didn't like corners below 1/4 ;)

never got around to fitting a surge before i sold it.
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Fuel tank

Post by HQ355 »

Finally got some time today to start the intank fuel pump conversion ! Will try and get around to tigging it in during the week :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Fuel tank

Post by Holden202T »

why is that recessed in is that to get the pump at the bottom ?

or maybe its to fit lines and wiring to it in the floor cavity ?
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Fuel tank

Post by HQ355 »

It's recessed to clear the top of the pump and lines, that's worst case depth there, i'l measure it up tonight and probably trim some off that so I don't loose any capacity. I'l gain it back though as it will need a sump on the bottom for the pump
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Fuel tank

Post by vlad01 »

Why do you need a sump? isn't the whole point of the FSU from a modern car is to do without a sump? they are effectively a swirl pot, pump and sender all built into one. Some even have regs.

You won't get fuel surge issue with what you are putting in there.
HQ355
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Fuel tank

Post by HQ355 »

I need the sump because it won't fit, HQ has a very shallow and wide tank unfortunately
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8550
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Fuel tank

Post by vlad01 »

Why not extend the whole bottom of the tank down? it will look a lot better and more capacity.

Once you do that, get a POR15 tank liner kit to seal everything from corrosion as any welding on the tank burns away the tin plating. On a bonus it will be completely impermeable to any possible issues if you decide to run E85.