Traction control with a 424 PCM

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Re: Traction control with a 424 PCM

Post by MAGP »

immortality wrote:Traction control, isn't that what we use our Right Foot for?
I brake with my left foot :lol:
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

It's for his speedway car, I doubt he brakes at all and my guess is he chasing the holeshot at the start or restart ! Reading between the lines ! What about an alloytec or sidi ecm ? And while running gear :)
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Don't most speedway cars usually have locked diffs? Also depending on the car they may have smaller wheels on the front. This makes it (almost) impossible to fit up a system with sensors on all 4 wheels unless you can program it accordingly.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I do currently run a locked diff, and do often run stagger from side to side and front to rear. But like all ABS systems there would need to be an allowance for this (like if the spare was fitted or if different air pressures are used) so that would need to be a consideration. We are looking to use a trutrac diff this season. Would only used one wheel speed sensor on the rear.

Brakes are used very much every race to the point that temps effect tyre pressures... i use the brakes to 'set' the car for each corner and in some cases 'trail' brake.

The main aim of using traction control is that changing track conditions and chaning grip levels from the chassis as a race goes on are major factors that affect success in speedway. Any driver aids in this area could potentially be a massive advantage, there are no rules in my (or many for that matter) class where this type of aid is not allowed, yet...

The two ways I have thought of so far for 'torque reduction' are to shut down ignition on multiple cylinders or to retard timing. The only cons are that ignition cut surely would cause uneven loading of the crank and retard would cause excess heat...

Im sure I'd be capable of hacking a standalone ABS module to get the wheel speed info from (like VP commodore) but im sure there are better ways? As for the software side, flex output? Or trigger a map switch based on output from the wheel speed sensor correlation from the ABS module?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
HQ355

Post by HQ355 »

If I were u big G I'd be putting this one into pm zone, you know some blokes you race against check this site out :)
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Was hoping this topic may go unnoticed ;)
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

This may be stupid question but would something like this even be within the rules? I though racing was mostly about driver talent and skill.
HQ355

Post by HQ355 »

MAGP wrote:This may be stupid question but would something like this even be within the rules? I though racing was mostly about driver talent and skill.
You have much to learn grasshopper ! The rule book is a guide, it says what you can't do, not what you can, brains is just as big a part as skill, allways has been
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

HQ355 wrote:
MAGP wrote:This may be stupid question but would something like this even be within the rules? I though racing was mostly about driver talent and skill.
You have much to learn grasshopper ! The rule book is a guide, it says what you can't do, not what you can, brains is just as big a part as skill, allways has been
That about sums it up, i have long been a pioneer in local speedway, reading and interpreting the rules in a certain way. Im not a believer in breaking rules, those people are cheats...

Also I don't profess to be a great driver but I reacon I can build pretty good cars that make me look like a great driver.
HQ355

Post by HQ355 »

When's the next race big G ? Love speedway