The Telstra techs here are nothing short of useless, the amount of times they have botched simple maintenance on the exchange just down the road from me and knocked out everyones landline services is beyond count now.antus wrote: after the rain due to Telstra doing an insufficient job time and time again of repair work to the line.
Wireless VPN Router
-
MAGP
- Posts: 665
- Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 7:48 am
- cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.
Re: Wireless VPN Router
-
VK_3800
- Posts: 578
- Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
- cars: SS Torana
- Location: NZ
Re: Wireless VPN Router
My SNR usually sits between 7-10dB, at the lower end it will connect at a hair over 5Mbit (there are a few errors but the compromise is worth it). No phone, just a single run of CAT5e from a hard wired master filter straight to the DP - eliminate all possible problems on the part of the line I control!
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Wireless VPN Router
I just did this and i've picked up 2-3mbps. Previously I was using a Belkin modem/router in modem only mode but not as a pass-through or bridged. Was causing some issues I think. New setup seems much more stable.VK_3800 wrote:A lot of all-in-one ADSL routers aren't that great, I run a good single port ADSL modem that does PPPoE pass-through, and a proper router behind it.
It can help get the last few bps of connection speed matching the chipset vendor with the DSLAM, but I'm so far away (like absolute end of line, 52dB loop attenuation!) that speed sucks regardless and would rather have a stable connection.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10015
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: Wireless VPN Router
With no phone you could bypass the filter and maybe gain a fraction, the Modem does not need it. But in practice so long as the filter is not failing it probably wont make a noticeable difference.VK_3800 wrote:My SNR usually sits between 7-10dB, at the lower end it will connect at a hair over 5Mbit (there are a few errors but the compromise is worth it). No phone, just a single run of CAT5e from a hard wired master filter straight to the DP - eliminate all possible problems on the part of the line I control!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8549
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Wireless VPN Router
So glad I have nbn, even though it's got its own issues it's no where close to the stuffing aroud adsl is.
I just switched isp to skymesh and for the week and a half I have been on them it's great. Very good technical service and know how. Was on internode before but I found their service in general not as good as it used to be since the tpg buy out.
I just switched isp to skymesh and for the week and a half I have been on them it's great. Very good technical service and know how. Was on internode before but I found their service in general not as good as it used to be since the tpg buy out.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Wireless VPN Router
One of my sons mates has fibre with a "up to" 100mbps plan but in reality sees no better than 20mbps.
I see a similar trend with our connection, certain times of the day/week download speeds are nowhere near what is advertised.
I see a similar trend with our connection, certain times of the day/week download speeds are nowhere near what is advertised.
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10015
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: Wireless VPN Router
Yeah it was/is because of the cvc charges, where ISPs need to pay per megabit from the nbn back to their own network (before linking to other peers and international trunks). This price has just been reduced (june 1st 2017) see here at the foot notes http://www.nbnco.com.au/corporate-infor ... rvice.html and from that you can see that at $15.25 (dec 2016 price) an ISP needs to pay 15.25*100=$1525 per month to be able to provide an uncontested 100mbit, before paying any of their other ongoing costs. In reality everyone doesnt use their bandwidth at the same time but working the other way say for a $60 month connection if all of that paid only for the cvc 60/15.25=3.93 mbit of bandwidth. This govt. has done everything they can to break the nbn, technical and financial! So considering that an isp should be able to advise max speed (the connection speed they subscribed the user for) and minimum speed (all users using their links at the same time vs cvc speed).
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
slewinson
- Posts: 224
- Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:08 am
- cars: Barina SB C14SE
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG
Re: Wireless VPN Router
This is typical of a contended "consumer grade" service. The backhaul is typically overcommitted by between 100:1 and 400:1 depending on the ISP.immortality wrote:One of my sons mates has fibre with a "up to" 100mbps plan but in reality sees no better than 20mbps.
I see a similar trend with our connection, certain times of the day/week download speeds are nowhere near what is advertised.
Simon
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Wireless VPN Router
I'm not sure what the pricing is here in NZ but I do know that when the tenders were put out for fibre roll-out they totally stuffed it up and have now increased copper network prices to effectively subsidise fibre whist doing a shit job of maintaining the copper network. I would expect though that if they advertise a max speed you would at least get close to it. Getting less than 50% of the advertised is getting into the false advertising criteria for me.
I noticed our speeds dropped when I went from a limited to unlimited data plan, but then with my 2 boys been online constantly I think we average around the 500gig+/month.
I noticed our speeds dropped when I went from a limited to unlimited data plan, but then with my 2 boys been online constantly I think we average around the 500gig+/month.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Wireless VPN Router
slewinson wrote:This is typical of a contended "consumer grade" service. The backhaul is typically overcommitted by between 100:1 and 400:1 depending on the ISP.immortality wrote:One of my sons mates has fibre with a "up to" 100mbps plan but in reality sees no better than 20mbps.
I see a similar trend with our connection, certain times of the day/week download speeds are nowhere near what is advertised.
Simon
That wouldn't surprise me at all, I wouldn't be surprised if it's even worse with Spark (telecom) here in NZ. At worst I think on ADSL2+ we were getting download speeds close to dialup
Recently a new submarine cable was put into operation but really haven't seen any improvement in service.