Charlescrown wrote:Make sure you get the carbie Magna distributor. One from a Sigma is still a good choice and might be cheaper. You need one with an inductive pickup. I have a few lying around here if you are in Sydney. If you have the advance curve figures from your old dissy itt'l be a big help in programming the timing map.
Charlescrown thanks for your help.
How many wires come out of the Magna distributors you recommend?
The one in the car now is a early Magna distributor with only two wires coming out of it.
How do you connect this to the pulsar wiring loom that has 6 wires on the diagram?
Do you not use some wires on the pulsar wiring loom or do you combine some wires?
Sorry to be a pain, but I want to understand.
I have an ignition map somewhere so that’s easy.
How do you connect the ecu to your computer for tuning? Do you have to modify the ecu to include another connection or use the diagnostic plug?
The pickup coil is connected to the Camira module as shown. It just uses the low level ac signal to do the switching. You can also use a Bosch HE coil and module.
The polarity of the 2 wires is important and you will find out quickly if you have it wired incorrect as the engine will run like the proverbial bag.
Either the Sigma/Magna 2 wire or a later HIE will do the job.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlescrown wrote:The pickup coil is connected to the Camira module as shown. It just uses the low level ac signal to do the switching. You can also use a Bosch HE coil and module.
The polarity of the 2 wires is important and you will find out quickly if you have it wired incorrect as the engine will run like the proverbial bag.
Either the Sigma/Magna 2 wire or a later HIE will do the job.
Excellent, thanks for your help. I think I understand now.
For logging purposes you will need a coms board for the 808 ECU which you can buy off this forum or if you use a VR manual ECU you will need an ALDL cable and unit again available from this forum. Check the for sale section. You can also buy a NVRAM from here which allows you to do live tuning. I don't have one of them so my tuning is slow where I have to log, evaluate, then make changes to my memcal.
If your serious about tuning fuel you will also need a wideband unit to measure air/fuel ratio. Lots of fun whichever way you decide to go. The software is TunerPro which is freely available. You can make a donation to the program writer for all his hard work. I suggest you use the 12P program written by a forum member VL400. It's a great program and has maps for boost if that's what you end up doing.
Charlescrown wrote:For logging purposes you will need a coms board for the 808 ECU which you can buy off this forum or if you use a VR manual ECU you will need an ALDL cable and unit again available from this forum. Check the for sale section. You can also buy a NVRAM from here which allows you to do live tuning. I don't have one of them so my tuning is slow where I have to log, evaluate, then make changes to my memcal.
If your serious about tuning fuel you will also need a wideband unit to measure air/fuel ratio. Lots of fun whichever way you decide to go. The software is TunerPro which is freely available. You can make a donation to the program writer for all his hard work. I suggest you use the 12P program written by a forum member VL400. It's a great program and has maps for boost if that's what you end up doing.
Excellent, thank you for your help. I picked up a ecu from a n13 pulsar today, so I can get stuck into this soon. I don’t think I’ll do live tuning, just the coms board will do for me.
If it came out of an MPFI N13 Pulsar, you can be pretty sure it's an 808. I'm not sure what the code on that sticker is, but yours sounds about right because I just checked a couple of 808s and they have numbers starting with 95208L, 95215L etc.
Have you considered distributorless ignition, rather than trying to modify a distributor to fit?
Here's a pic of my GTV's ignition setup, there's not much to it. Make a template to mark out and grind the notches in the harmonic balancer, and knock up a bracket to hold a generic ABS wheel sensor. Use a D1927A ignition module and a pair commodore DFI coils.