Tail shaft phasing for VN. VP and VR, (V6?)
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Tail shaft phasing for VN. VP and VR, (V6?)
All 3 are standard height, all are manual as well.
-
VK_3800
- Posts: 578
- Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 am
- cars: SS Torana
- Location: NZ
Re: Tail shaft phasing for VN. VP and VR, (V6?)
Yes but remember that same logic has to apply to the front uni, there must be additional angles at play.immortality wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 8:00 pm The different centre offset for the IRS cars is to induce a angle over the uni joints, if it was fitted the same as the live axle cars the uni's would fail a lot sooner as the shaft would basically be inline from the transmission to the dif. Uni's need a few degrees of angle to ensure the roller elements actually roll ensuring a long working life.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Tail shaft phasing for VN. VP and VR, (V6?)
My VN at stock ride height had spacers for the centre mount. Not huge I'd guesstimate ~4mm.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Tail shaft phasing for VN. VP and VR, (V6?)
When I get the Senator up in the air I'll try to get some accurate measurements . Good excuse for a laser level ....VK_3800 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 3:38 amYes but remember that same logic has to apply to the front uni, there must be additional angles at play.immortality wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 8:00 pm The different centre offset for the IRS cars is to induce a angle over the uni joints, if it was fitted the same as the live axle cars the uni's would fail a lot sooner as the shaft would basically be inline from the transmission to the dif. Uni's need a few degrees of angle to ensure the roller elements actually roll ensuring a long working life.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Tail shaft phasing for VN. VP and VR, (V6?)
Not totally accurate as I don't have the rear lower arms in yet, but the diff flange at 0 ish deg reference and pretty much 0 absolute at full extension, the tail shaft rear section angle was about 7 deg difference.
All my cars have the center support spacers, I have not played with them before but I am aware that you can fine tune with them. My VP S with factory FE2 has these spacers as well and from a glance it also has the 30ish odd deg + phasing.
Speaking of, I measured a spare auto shaft just before with good accuracy, it was pretty much bang on 33º +
I have a genuine T5 shaft but I cut the rear half off getting it out of the car years ago since it was ridiculously rusted I didn't dare attempt to try unbolt anything. So I can't tell what angle for sure, but the yoke weld ends comparing to the auto one, seems to suggest it was at the same angle as I measured on this auto one. All of my cars wit the original shafts seem to be this value so far.
All my cars have the center support spacers, I have not played with them before but I am aware that you can fine tune with them. My VP S with factory FE2 has these spacers as well and from a glance it also has the 30ish odd deg + phasing.
Speaking of, I measured a spare auto shaft just before with good accuracy, it was pretty much bang on 33º +
I have a genuine T5 shaft but I cut the rear half off getting it out of the car years ago since it was ridiculously rusted I didn't dare attempt to try unbolt anything. So I can't tell what angle for sure, but the yoke weld ends comparing to the auto one, seems to suggest it was at the same angle as I measured on this auto one. All of my cars wit the original shafts seem to be this value so far.