Battery hack\fix.
-
Denny
- Posts: 71
- Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2024 8:04 pm
- cars: 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 4.8
Re: Battery hack\fix.
Hi immortality. Sorry to hear that. That's rough. I forgot to mention to give some thought on how you're going to flip it. Example I used a couple pieces of 1" thick scrap plastic inside the tub to keep the battery off the bottom, flipped 90 degrees waited for it to drain. Then another 90 so the holes are at the bottom, to finish draining.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Battery hack\fix.
Yeah my skin reacts to ATF and I hardly ever was exposed to it, there's something in it that my immue system doesn't like.
My skin is shit now partly becasue of similar things you mention about cleaners, but it's the intollerance to chlorine town water after I moved in with my partner a few years ago, my skin is always dry and dusty, where nealy all my life I was only used to rain/tank water which is very soft and slightly acidic, all things the skin prefers. The town water is harder and alkaline somewhat but the chrolorine ruins the skin and hair.
One of the other reasons I am sensitive to pretty much everything now, especially solvents at stupidly low levels is from body and nervous system wide damage from use of antidepressants, I nearly died from them a few years ago, more specifically trying to get off them. My skin had all kinds of issues from rashes, infections, cracking from inability to sweat and create moisture, extreme itching from histamine withdrawal symptoms that those meds cause. Blocked lymph vessels, and even 3 or 4 bouts of shingles.
The solvent sensitivity was frightening, just opening a container of thinners without being even had smelled it was enough to induce parkinsonism symptoms and a feeling of a blackout imminent. Even when using a full chemical respirator, the occasional momentary leak around the face seal when readjusting the mask was enough of an exposure to trigger symptoms like this.
I have improved a lot since then, but I am still totally fucked from them and have many of the cross sensitization which are common with other sufferers I know. Many of them have severe crashes from compounds that are usually good for you in foods like vitamin B6 and B12 being deadly to those who've reacted badly to meds like I have. As far as I can tell I have been lucky with the food but I have a bad gut from this as well, but it seems random and not anything particular that triggers symptoms.
Also, long before any of this happened, I reacted badly to a first real MEK exposure and at levels deemed safe enough, the first time I really was exposed to it, used it to clean a PCB at a job as a tech when I was 22 or so, outside with the breeze blowing it away from me, so a lot of paints make me feel ill just from normal reasonable protected use, eg, short use and outdoors with a breeze from the side or similar to ensure fumes don't get to me, basically as well ventilated as possible so that I can't really smell it or at all during use, but still makes me feel shit. MEK was the common compound and it seems like it was an instant rejection, not one from chronic exposures as far as I can tell. So I just use a full chemical respirator for everything now just about.
The only thing I can think of is maybe small repeated exposures to paints as a teen that contained MEK may have lead to this, but I don't think it was anymore than a typical male would have anyway doing the usual projects and making things. It's like I may have used some spray cans once or twice a year outside or in the massive shed we have with the door open.
So I tell people these things and to think like everything is out to kill ya, if you try to treat it like covid exposure, you'll be pretty safe is what I say.
My skin is shit now partly becasue of similar things you mention about cleaners, but it's the intollerance to chlorine town water after I moved in with my partner a few years ago, my skin is always dry and dusty, where nealy all my life I was only used to rain/tank water which is very soft and slightly acidic, all things the skin prefers. The town water is harder and alkaline somewhat but the chrolorine ruins the skin and hair.
One of the other reasons I am sensitive to pretty much everything now, especially solvents at stupidly low levels is from body and nervous system wide damage from use of antidepressants, I nearly died from them a few years ago, more specifically trying to get off them. My skin had all kinds of issues from rashes, infections, cracking from inability to sweat and create moisture, extreme itching from histamine withdrawal symptoms that those meds cause. Blocked lymph vessels, and even 3 or 4 bouts of shingles.
The solvent sensitivity was frightening, just opening a container of thinners without being even had smelled it was enough to induce parkinsonism symptoms and a feeling of a blackout imminent. Even when using a full chemical respirator, the occasional momentary leak around the face seal when readjusting the mask was enough of an exposure to trigger symptoms like this.
I have improved a lot since then, but I am still totally fucked from them and have many of the cross sensitization which are common with other sufferers I know. Many of them have severe crashes from compounds that are usually good for you in foods like vitamin B6 and B12 being deadly to those who've reacted badly to meds like I have. As far as I can tell I have been lucky with the food but I have a bad gut from this as well, but it seems random and not anything particular that triggers symptoms.
Also, long before any of this happened, I reacted badly to a first real MEK exposure and at levels deemed safe enough, the first time I really was exposed to it, used it to clean a PCB at a job as a tech when I was 22 or so, outside with the breeze blowing it away from me, so a lot of paints make me feel ill just from normal reasonable protected use, eg, short use and outdoors with a breeze from the side or similar to ensure fumes don't get to me, basically as well ventilated as possible so that I can't really smell it or at all during use, but still makes me feel shit. MEK was the common compound and it seems like it was an instant rejection, not one from chronic exposures as far as I can tell. So I just use a full chemical respirator for everything now just about.
The only thing I can think of is maybe small repeated exposures to paints as a teen that contained MEK may have lead to this, but I don't think it was anymore than a typical male would have anyway doing the usual projects and making things. It's like I may have used some spray cans once or twice a year outside or in the massive shed we have with the door open.
So I tell people these things and to think like everything is out to kill ya, if you try to treat it like covid exposure, you'll be pretty safe is what I say.
-
Denny
- Posts: 71
- Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2024 8:04 pm
- cars: 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 4.8
Re: Battery hack\fix.
Hi guys. That crazy. I have been really lucky. I do always try do do stuff as safe as possible, but there is always a chance of something unexpected happening. Like allergic reactions. Never thought of it. I did do the fix outside with a light breeze at my back, but if I do it again I'm going to use a strong fan too. Thanks.
-
Denny
- Posts: 71
- Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2024 8:04 pm
- cars: 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 4.8
Re: Battery hack\fix.
Update. The battery died. My fault I would think. I don't drive my tuck often enough. Sat 3 weeks, in Ontario winter. Now it's dead. Bought another used battery for $50 from my local scrap yard.