Oscilloscope
-
Wade
- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
- cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport
-
Wade
- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
- cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport
Re: Oscilloscope
I like watching this guy on yt. Very informative https://youtu.be/vwwsTvlsTKM?si=LUofE094gIQH5ds8 https://youtu.be/tiOUd3NkOyQ?si=sxp4F9d0S9YmXcyz https://youtu.be/BDKLYsGyBVU?si=UT_MsSJ3J_CfjNRU
-
antus
- Site Admin
- Posts: 10012
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
- cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007
Re: Oscilloscope
Oh I see, your looking for clipping/overload not tuning EQ. That makes sense. Yep, so you just need your scope running, and dial in the time/div (X axis) and voltage/div (Y axis) with a steady tone and you should see something that looks right. And turn on the trigger and set it above the noise level and you should get a crystal waveform as the frequency is stable and the trigger overlays each scan perfectly with the last. If you have AC/DC mode put it on AC because its a wave crossing the zero point.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
-
Wade
- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
- cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport
Re: Oscilloscope
Thanks for the help mate. Finally feel like I’m learning how to use this thing.antus wrote: Tue Jan 20, 2026 5:34 am Oh I see, your looking for clipping/overload not tuning EQ. That makes sense. Yep, so you just need your scope running, and dial in the time/div (X axis) and voltage/div (Y axis) with a steady tone and you should see something that looks right. And turn on the trigger and set it above the noise level and you should get a crystal waveform as the frequency is stable and the trigger overlays each scan perfectly with the last. If you have AC/DC mode put it on AC because its a wave crossing the zero point.
-
AngelMarc
- Posts: 612
- Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:23 am
- cars: A CB450 running to 8,000RPM with a P59.
Re: Oscilloscope
Resolution on their base model is ass.pman92 wrote: Mon Jan 19, 2026 7:13 am I would recommend getting a PC based scope.
You can get a brand new picoscope 2204a
Why I got a VDS1022 instead.
Using it for megaHz range signals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ec1n9ScGTw
Reading a 24x crank signal on a running engine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhllu_2PBBY
Edit: Sounds like you're sorted already.
Don't stress specific units.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Oscilloscope
I got an old Kenwood 40Mhz dual channel CRO. It still works good despite looking like it's 100 years old. I've had it for sale on ebay for like 18 months, so clearly it has no interest. I need to rid it soon as the farm has sold and I got nowhere to keep it, you're welcome to have it.
I hadn't touched a CRO since my tafe days 20 years ago, but after 20 min of stuffing around I learned how to use it again for the most part, those old CROs are easy to use. I tried to use on of the digital ones in jaycar, for the life of me, I couldn't even figure out a single adjustment and I am not one easily beaten, so I know your pain.
I hadn't touched a CRO since my tafe days 20 years ago, but after 20 min of stuffing around I learned how to use it again for the most part, those old CROs are easy to use. I tried to use on of the digital ones in jaycar, for the life of me, I couldn't even figure out a single adjustment and I am not one easily beaten, so I know your pain.
-
AngelMarc
- Posts: 612
- Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:23 am
- cars: A CB450 running to 8,000RPM with a P59.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: Oscilloscope
Still works good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: Oscilloscope
I wonder if there are any old oscilloscopes where I went to tech, they closed down the old site and moved to a new location and all the buildings have been closed since the move.
-
AngelMarc
- Posts: 612
- Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:23 am
- cars: A CB450 running to 8,000RPM with a P59.
Re: Oscilloscope
That's a sexy piece of equipment.
Tripple coaxial potentiometers? I'm practically drooling.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't stress specific units.