Temp and tps gauge erratic

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10012
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Temp and tps gauge erratic

Post by antus »

Ok for memcal and nvram? Are you swapping adx file to suit memcal an nvram, whichever is in the ecm? confirming the RW wire was installed on the ecm?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Brad7860
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:07 am

Re: Temp and tps gauge erratic

Post by Brad7860 »

Rw has been installed I can send changes to the nvram im using the $12p tune and adx on the nvram
Brad7860
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:07 am

Re: Temp and tps gauge erratic

Post by Brad7860 »

I’m not sure what tune is on the memcal but I know it’s got vats removed
Brad7860
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:07 am

Re: Temp and tps gauge erratic

Post by Brad7860 »

It’s probably somthing silly I’ve missed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: Temp and tps gauge erratic

Post by Gareth »

Please confirm that you have an 082 ECU fitted and not a 424. Maybe a pic of the service number and a pic of the original memcal.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Brad7860
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:07 am

Re: Temp and tps gauge erratic

Post by Brad7860 »

Memcal and ecu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brad7860
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:07 am

Re: Temp and tps gauge erratic

Post by Brad7860 »

Anyone ?
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8548
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Temp and tps gauge erratic

Post by vlad01 »

082, basically the same as the 808, so that's all good there.

My guess is the 5V from the ECU to those sensors is unstable for whatever reason.

If you have a wiring diagram available, you'll see that the TPS, MAP and CTS and I think maybe the MAT too, all have a common 5V supplied to them via the ECU, the sensors are then "grounded" by each of the inputs on the ECU that reads them, the voltage drop is how the ECU reads the values. If the 5V supplied to them is unstable, either the ECU supplying it or some of the wiring or a connector somewhere along the way to them has an intermittent break that cuts in and out, that could possibly cause what you are seeing. The 5V is the common factor I seen between those sensors.


All that said, given this happens only with the NVRAM, it might not be the above, but I would still check that with a multimeter because it maybe that the module is shorting out the 5V somehow.

Even if the calibration checked out fine, the OS part of the tune which is not accessible to TP normally, could still have a corruption somewhere in a way that is not fatal, continues to run but does weird things.

I'd go over the NVRAM module more closely and sus it out. If you have a programmer, removing the chip and reloading fresh copy of the stacked bin would be a good idea. But before that, try switching to "tune B" via the jumper on the module, this will run the other hopefully untouched copy of the tune. I have used that to get me running again when tune A got corrupted and went into limp mode, I did not have a programmer yet at that time, so this saved my ass.
Brad7860
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:07 am

Re: Temp and tps gauge erratic

Post by Brad7860 »

Hey mate I just checked all them sensors with my meter and they are at 5v with the key on. I have even brought another Dallas chip from mouser electronics and loaded the stacked v8 bin on it with my programmer but it didn’t change anything
User avatar
antus
Site Admin
Posts: 10012
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 am
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam 8psi
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B
Subaru WRX 2007

Re: Temp and tps gauge erratic

Post by antus »

Jumping around is corrupted data. I see what looks like an ALDL plug on the floor of the car in the picture. I reckon you have something wrong with the data connection. RFI or interfearance of some type.

You can run this at the same time as you are using oseplugin and see detail logs of what its doing and what its reading/writing and any data errors. Try that and post up an example of the errors.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysin ... /debugview
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396