VESenator8HP wrote: Mon May 11, 2026 10:57 pm
I was also tackling a similar project with a Dodge 8HP70 into a VE Senator with e38 ecu, using the Maxxecu mini as a dedicated TCU.
We got it running but due to a can ID conflict between e38 and the Maxxecu mini which wouldn’t enable me to get the car out of Park, I’ve chosen to upgrade to the Maxxecu Gen 2 Race to run both engine and the gearbox - hopefully that eliminates the can conflict issue now!
Sorry I don’t have any answers to your questions but I am interested in the can stream data and how to go about deciphering it…very interesting!
Let me know how your conversion gets on, hopefully mine is less than a week or two away!
What was the can ID confict? It's entirely possible to turn off the broascast of an ID in the ecu/tcm, Just hope its not got a knock on affect from something else.
Hey Tre-Cool,
The actual conflict is many as listed in the next post, there is lots of know can conflicts, possibly some are not critical to operations but I got in contact with some decent tuners around the globe and half said it will never work or to get a gateway to seperate the canbus conflicts.
I think it would work with the right engineer deciphering the messages but I don’t have that skill and nor does my tuner.
Hence I decided to utilise MaxxEcu Race Gen 2 that has dual can so I can if needed segregate the vehicle BCM Dash streams from the Maxx ECU and 8HP data if required, it’s been a process but hopefully end up with a sweet driving punchy cammed Senator - they’re all a little rare on the streets these days
Tre-Cool wrote: Thu May 14, 2026 11:45 am
whats your e92 os your testing with?
i know the e38 it transmits throttle & accelerator pedal on a few different id's.
I dont think there would be an issue removing the first 2.
for the 4C9 id, if thats got Trans temp, then it is coming from the TCM then. so the ecu would be RX only.
Yea the last is the Transmision, so it dont matter as the MAXX will transmist that one instead. but still not possible for me to remove as i only have HPT
Im on OS 12677878 on the ECU.
I will make a gateway to make this work, as the MAXXECU also have trubbles with the protection value needed for the tourque request..
Tre-Cool wrote: Thu May 14, 2026 11:45 am
whats your e92 os your testing with?
i know the e38 it transmits throttle & accelerator pedal on a few different id's.
I dont think there would be an issue removing the first 2.
for the 4C9 id, if thats got Trans temp, then it is coming from the TCM then. so the ecu would be RX only.
Yea the last is the Transmision, so it dont matter as the MAXX will transmist that one instead. but still not possible for me to remove as i only have HPT
Im on OS 12677878 on the ECU.
I will make a gateway to make this work, as the MAXXECU also have trubbles with the protection value needed for the tourque request..
Following along as I would also be interested in doing something similar...
I saw MAXXECU updated their software to allow LUA scripting, so is a gateway really needed? Also, I posted on the GM CAN knowledge thread about disabling TX and RX messages in an E38 OS (haven't tested but worth looking into on E92 as I'm sure they reused a similar strategy).
What if you change the CAN ID instead of trying to disable them to avoid the collisions? I think it would be fairly easy to find the CAN ID tables.
Do you have a .bin of the OS you are using that I could take a look at?
EDIT: Nvm I just saw you went with Maxx for both engine and transmission.
So I have asked maxxecu about getting support for the e92 on the small mini, that do not have Lua so Maxx is the only way.
But after my trubbles I decided to contact cantcu, they got it working in a heartbeat and I got their kit to be installed. Should be 100% plug and play with the e92.