2nd had sets are getting very hard to find unless you go get a VL diff and pull the gears.
They can be had new, genuine
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185432744490?i ... Swu4BVm2pk
VR Ute
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: VR Ute
Yes I just noticed Spicer started selling them when I looked last night, I checked a few months ago and found some other brand making all the popular ratios, but it seems they aren't really coming up much on ebay now, but all the Spicer ones have popped up suddenly. I noticed they all pretty much have the spigot, so they will need to be chopped off.
-
brindo
- Posts: 333
- Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:43 pm
- Location: Western Queensland
Re: VR Ute
3.45 is clearly the obvious choice, but that would put us at 2000 rpm for 100kph. The highways near here are 110kph so that puts us at 2250 rpm. It’s a shame Holden didn’t give the V8s a taller overdrive closer to 0.60.
I’ve seen the new gear sets but am turned off by the price. Also don’t quite understand how they fit both the M75 and M78. Either way, I’d be buying another torque lock centre so would have to machine 0.070” off the end of the pinion which would make me cringe with a new gear set.
I’ve seen RTS also sell the gear sets but that would be a gamble – I would not forgive myself if they were noisy.
The other annoying part is Sigmas, Cortinas and whatever other cars that had the same diffs were in abundance at the rubbish tip once.
Looks like I’ll be hanging out for a VL gear set.
I’ve also bit the bullet and ordered a set of the Raiden Hero Drags.
To be fair to the Nankangs, the track here is a great facility but everyone struggles for traction. It’s a well-run facility by volunteers and we are very lucky to have it. For anyone who’s done 1/8 or ¼ mile on an air strip, the track here is certainly a huge step up above that. But it’s not like Willowbank or any of the big dollar tracks. It has its fair share of bumps and a bit of a transition from the concrete start line to the main track. Before the start a few cars do a couple of slow but noisy runs to chase away the wildlife. There were emus on the track last time we raced last year.
I’ve seen the new gear sets but am turned off by the price. Also don’t quite understand how they fit both the M75 and M78. Either way, I’d be buying another torque lock centre so would have to machine 0.070” off the end of the pinion which would make me cringe with a new gear set.
I’ve seen RTS also sell the gear sets but that would be a gamble – I would not forgive myself if they were noisy.
The other annoying part is Sigmas, Cortinas and whatever other cars that had the same diffs were in abundance at the rubbish tip once.
Looks like I’ll be hanging out for a VL gear set.
I’ve also bit the bullet and ordered a set of the Raiden Hero Drags.
To be fair to the Nankangs, the track here is a great facility but everyone struggles for traction. It’s a well-run facility by volunteers and we are very lucky to have it. For anyone who’s done 1/8 or ¼ mile on an air strip, the track here is certainly a huge step up above that. But it’s not like Willowbank or any of the big dollar tracks. It has its fair share of bumps and a bit of a transition from the concrete start line to the main track. Before the start a few cars do a couple of slow but noisy runs to chase away the wildlife. There were emus on the track last time we raced last year.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: VR Ute
RTS are the ones I saw flooding ebay a few months ago, I knew they started with R, but I have not heard of that brand before.
I thought the spicer ones are rather cheap for new? used even 5 - 8 years ago were more than that. My NOS 3.73 cost me 600 from facecrap and I pounced on that as people were asking more than that for old worn ones on ebay and market place and I think I saw a NOS 4.11 somewhere fetching close to a K iirc. It was a funny time for a lot of stuff for these cars 5-10 years ago when everything dried up and went to drug money levels and no one was making anything new yet.
I thought the spicer ones are rather cheap for new? used even 5 - 8 years ago were more than that. My NOS 3.73 cost me 600 from facecrap and I pounced on that as people were asking more than that for old worn ones on ebay and market place and I think I saw a NOS 4.11 somewhere fetching close to a K iirc. It was a funny time for a lot of stuff for these cars 5-10 years ago when everything dried up and went to drug money levels and no one was making anything new yet.
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: VR Ute
They have been around for ages.vlad01 wrote: Wed Jan 28, 2026 9:26 pm Yes I just noticed Spicer started selling them when I looked last night, I checked a few months ago and found some other brand making all the popular ratios, but it seems they aren't really coming up much on ebay now, but all the Spicer ones have popped up suddenly. I noticed they all pretty much have the spigot, so they will need to be chopped off.
I bought some 4.10's over a year ago.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: VR Ute
Spicer or the other mob?
-
immortality
- Posts: 3820
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
- cars: VS,VT,VX,VE
Re: VR Ute
Spicer gear sets. There are a couple of sellers who seem to stock em.
-
vlad01
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
- cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2 - Location: Kyneton, Vic
Re: VR Ute
Last time I looked they hardly had any and the choices were all m78 or m80 ones. It was like that for years except for the odd one here and there, mostly just the 3.08 ones, hence why I ended up getting a NOS BTR one for my stash. Probably won't ever use it though lol.
-
Deuce
- Posts: 107
- Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:03 am
- cars: TUF355
Re: VR Ute
I'm looking to switch out my 3.45 gears for 4.1 and sell the unused (probably 2nd half of this year).
Found this supplier that I was considering using.
https://shop.srpauto.com.au/products/da ... MDRROTE7JZ
Found this supplier that I was considering using.
https://shop.srpauto.com.au/products/da ... MDRROTE7JZ
-
brindo
- Posts: 333
- Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:43 pm
- Location: Western Queensland
Re: VR Ute
Bit of AI used but a cool photo all the same.
Poster car for the next race meeting.
Poster car for the next race meeting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.