cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP) Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily) Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled) Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus) My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy) 1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car) Mitsubishi Evo IX
TdracerTd wrote:I read in a magazine I think that the bellmouth was put in place as the vn s1 motors were "criticized" for their ability to turn the wheels of the line. They also changed the camshaft grind between the s1 motors and the the later ones for this reason. Also without the bellmouth it said you will loose some idle quality. I never noticed it.
I can tell you that my VR with bellmouth absolutely blows vn S1 away lol.
even my crappy worn out VP is a tad faster than s1 VNs, but its tuned aggressively.
when I had driven few vn s1 manuals i was very disappointed, as you could imagine. Everyone talked them up so much lol
I know that the S2 does have less lob separation and more aggressive ramp rate, so my understanding is it will have more lift area on the profile compared to an s1 cam if it were the same duration and lift for comparison.
Here is the article-
126-127%20DIYS-2.pdf
I was surprised that I found it. Pay's to be an information pack rat soemtimes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TdracerTd wrote:I read in a magazine I think that the bellmouth was put in place as the vn s1 motors were "criticized" for their ability to turn the wheels of the line. They also changed the camshaft grind between the s1 motors and the the later ones for this reason. Also without the bellmouth it said you will loose some idle quality. I never noticed it.
I can tell you that my VR with bellmouth absolutely blows vn S1 away lol.
even my crappy worn out VP is a tad faster than s1 VNs, but its tuned aggressively.
when I had driven few vn s1 manuals i was very disappointed, as you could imagine. Everyone talked them up so much lol
I know that the S2 does have less lob separation and more aggressive ramp rate, so my understanding is it will have more lift area on the profile compared to an s1 cam if it were the same duration and lift for comparison.
See, now that's interesting cause my s1 VN went like stink. Runs circles around our old VS but then it was modified with all the major bolt ons with a tune.
The problem with the s1 it ran out of puff real quick because of the cam, the later 3800 V6 motors rev'd a bit better.
its a little difficult to see, but the compressor side of the turbo is up near the front - the carbon and gold pipe are to/from the cooler. There has not been a better pic yet, but it appears to be a similar concept to the mercedes split turbo design. Except it almost looks like Honda have incorporated the compressor and plenum, not sure on the reasoning behind that.
Edit: Variable length intake runners are the rods on top, can see the last runner.
TdracerTd wrote:I read in a magazine I think that the bellmouth was put in place as the vn s1 motors were "criticized" for their ability to turn the wheels of the line. They also changed the camshaft grind between the s1 motors and the the later ones for this reason. Also without the bellmouth it said you will loose some idle quality. I never noticed it.
I can tell you that my VR with bellmouth absolutely blows vn S1 away lol.
even my crappy worn out VP is a tad faster than s1 VNs, but its tuned aggressively.
when I had driven few vn s1 manuals i was very disappointed, as you could imagine. Everyone talked them up so much lol
I know that the S2 does have less lob separation and more aggressive ramp rate, so my understanding is it will have more lift area on the profile compared to an s1 cam if it were the same duration and lift for comparison.
See, now that's interesting cause my s1 VN went like stink. Runs circles around our old VS but then it was modified with all the major bolt ons with a tune.
The problem with the s1 it ran out of puff real quick because of the cam, the later 3800 V6 motors rev'd a bit better.
thats exactly it,my S2s make more torque at low rpm plus more into the higher revs to boot. Overall there were quicker for me. I never really owned an s2 without a tune so not sure now much slower they are than supposedly faster s1.
on a sort of related topic, anyone know the flow figures for stock VN-VR v6 head flow with 3 angle valve grind might be?
had my simulation software for the last 2 days and spending ages on it. I have made a great custom mild cam and found that low lift flow improvements but not touching higher lift flow, improves power and torque curve throughout massively with my cam. It really complements the stock head this cam I got, the small valves really make some good numbers.