Vlad's rides thread

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (full restro)

Post by vlad01 »

new bit off the VN vs the old bit on the VP
IMG_0739_zps3db10a67.jpg
previous repairer professional panel beating ftw!
IMG_0740_zps1e3216a9.jpg
this area cleaned up, though some cut and paste is needed, "panel beaten" beyond repair and rust hole from welding and not paining after :roll:
IMG_0741_zpsab8895fa.jpg
new piece test fit.
IMG_0742_zpsabee90c3.jpg

all inside the boot being properly cleaned up, bare metal stripped in a lot of areas to smooth the metal and remove patches of surface rust.
IMG_0743_zps290e4616.jpg
IMG_0744_zps1dad2f75.jpg
finally got some of these off without breaking anything.
IMG_0745_zpsbfc693cc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's VP executive (full restro)

Post by Holden202T »

i get worn out just seeing how much extreme detail your going to with this respray hahaha :)
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (full restro)

Post by vlad01 »

yeah haha. i wont be spraying it though. decided I'll get a local panel beater/spray painter to do it. Seen him a few times. Just a really old guy by him self doing repairs and painting. Some of his good work is real nice! some of the quicky insurance jobs are average but all his private jobs are awesome.

I figure I do the best possible body repair and prep work and leave the paint to the pro. Getting him to come out and have a look at the car Saturday week to give me an idea on the job and cost. Early next year is the estimated time frame when she be going in for the coat, that should give me heaps of time to finish.
Dylan
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 am
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Vlad's VP executive (full restro)

Post by Dylan »

Going 2 pack?
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (full restro)

Post by vlad01 »

Dylan wrote:Going 2 pack?
yep, the painter only uses 2 pak. his paint jobs like mint without any cut and polishing. And metallic? perfect!

i tried and tried but couldn't get the metallic to lay down right, always stripy or splotchy in angled light. But I used acrylic single pak paint which isn't great for metallic. How ever I can always get great results in a spray pack :lol:


also is plastic bumpers look brand new once painted so that's ideal. A lot of restores don't do plastic bumpers.
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's VP executive (full restro)

Post by Holden202T »

The trick to metallic is even layers and constant swirling of the pot to keep it mixed !!
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (full restro)

Post by vlad01 »

its much harder with acrylic though, its gravity sensitive and the equipment for acrylic doesn't atomize as good either as its high volume and the paint isn't as well suited to be finely atomized otherwise it goes on too dry. I know a few pro painters (their actual job) of another forum that also go for 2 pak over acrylic for metallic for the same sort of reasons.

The only time I got good results with the lay down when I was laying almost completely dry coats. Guess thats why spray packs work well as they don't have air mixed with the paint mist and lay down wet while being atomized well. I have some u-pol high quality spray packs that spray like fog and always come up real nice.
User avatar
delcowizzid
Posts: 5709
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Vlad's VP executive (full restro)

Post by delcowizzid »

i allways crack up when people talk about flip controllers etc for making the flakes stand up etc ive never used such things on any metellic paintjobs LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: Vlad's VP executive (full restro)

Post by Holden202T »

This is my effort metallic acrylic straight from the gun with clear coat over the top and no polishing

Image
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: Vlad's VP executive (full restro)

Post by vlad01 »

yeah ours looked like that in day and ambient light. in directional like was another story lol. looked like shit

the flakes landed different depending what angled in the fan they were at when the hit the surface. So the flake angle was in a gradient like pattern from middle of the fan out. But it depended on the light.