Using Holden202's $12P Methanol Tune In A V6

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
Holden202T

Re: Using Holden202's $12P Methanol Tune In A V6

Post by Holden202T »

the other thing i've found is generally your engine will hunt at idle if its lean, if its too rich it pretty much just struggles and splutters!
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Hi Holden202. I think this is the bin that you made with some changes that we discussed in earlier posts. I haven't used it as yet.
$12P-V1-Holden202-v6-2010-01-14.bin
(32 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

I've got TP-5 logging & connected to the LM-1 wideband in a stationary engine.(pic below) running on petrol so that I don't waste to much methanol while I work out how to use TP5 properly & try to get a base tune for my HJ ute that I'm rebuilding.
P1010651.JPG
P1010651.JPG (81 KiB) Viewed 3706 times
I've done some logging today, here are the logs.
9th test.rar
(37.47 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
$12P-V1-Ecotec-808-Basefile-2010-01-14.bin
(32 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
Then I added 10% to the VE table(it's probably not the correct way to do this but it worked with the methanol bin several weeks ago) to try to stop the lean condition just above idle.
10th test +10%.rar
(22.57 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
$12P-V1-Ecotec-808-Basefile-v1.1.bin
(32 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
Am I barking up the wrong tree or is this caused by something else.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

In the file name it has ecotec, but your running a VP motor? What bin did you start with?? In the 12P package there are two V6 bins, one suits a VN and the other a VR. The VP is probably closer to the VR motor and would prob be a better starting point.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

I always use the APNX cal in the 12p package as a starting point for VP... I dont get the off idle stumble others talk of.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

VL400, after looking back at what I've been doing, I think I should be using the BLCD bin not the one that I have used today. :oops:
Thanks Jayme, I'll try the APNX bin tomorrow. It is an off idle stumble that I'm having trouble with.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah the ecotec tune is a waste of time, its SSOOOO different to a vn/vp/vr motor its not funny .... half the timing for starters.

add to that its got a different VE table.i started with BLCD on the ecotec and modified the crap out of it to work on the ecotec :P
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

I've been playing with the engine over the last few days with mixed results. I tried the APNX bin as Jayme suggested which worked well.
test APNX.rar
(29.59 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
I then changed things over for methanol, using the bin that Holden202 done for me some time ago.
Methanol 202v6.rar
(2.22 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Apart from being extremely rich, I noticed that the "dash" was not working in TP5, but the monitor page was ok but very jerky. Iwas using the .adx for methanol. I then change the "injector constant" from .060 down in steps to .020 which its reasonably happy with at idle but leans out once the throttle is moved.
3rd methanol.rar
(2.77 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
When starting the engine, it starts very rich then settles down to a 6.4 afr by my LM-1.
Then I tried to fix TP5 so that it wasn't jerky & so the dash would work, by updating to the newest version of TP5 5.00.7532.00. Then TP5 would crash after I connected with the methanol adx. I then downloaded the ose plugin v1.2.1. After installing the plugin it still reads v.1.2.0, although the file is larger than the v1.2.0. I'm now having trouble trying to connect to the ecu to log, with TP5 crashing whilst trying to record. :wall:
I'm sure someone will be able to shed some light as to whats going on.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

the crashing sounds alot like the issues with v1.20 of the plugin .... 1.21 was supposed to fix these issues. might be worth removing all ose plugin files you have then downloaded the latest one and see if that fixes the issue.

my suggestion with the methanol tune would be instead of changing the injector rate, change the VE table in the areas that are too rich .... you may need to change the injector rate a bit, but .060 to .020 is a SHITLOAD of change.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

first rule dont lie to the ecu set it to the exact flow of the injectors and leave it there LOL.being that you have drilled injectors and have no flow data doesnt help and the fact that all the BPW corrections for injector pulsewidths will be way wrong for drilled injectors.my old injectors that had been highflowed took ages to get the richness out of downlow and the leaness out of up high via tuning the injector pulsewidth correction table.injectors now binned in favour of real injectors they will do your head in and wont spray that well do it properly and dont skimp on simple parts .injectors are the most finely machined part of a car with a 1 micron accurate lazer to cut the injector holes etc you cant replicate that with a drill bit
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem