Vy commodore

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Vy commodore

Post by Wade »

Plan is to use a belt sander on the intercooler pipes for that seamless look. Just like they do on stainless hand rails and things like that. So I really need to get the gaps and fit just right. Try a get really good penetration, none of my famous bugger welds 😂👌. Then I’ll get all the pipes and brackets powder coated black. Same with the exhaust manifold. I’ll sand and grind that down after welding and then sand blast that to give a uniform look as if it were a factory cast manifold, then get all the hot side ceramic coated black to further help with heat management. But I’m jumping ahead a bit now. I’ve gotta get there first.
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Vy commodore

Post by Wade »

The rear passenger side firewall has 2 studs from factory, just sitting around chilling a doing nothing. Looks like the perfect place to mount a catch can. I’ll be using a genuine pro vent. There really good and also have a built in pressure relief valve. So if the filter gets blocked it’ll still vent excess crank case pressure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Vy commodore

Post by Wade »

I’ve also got to incorporate some jrp 14 in 1 gauges. So things like exhaust manifold pressure, egt’s, afr’s, fuel pressure, oil, pressure, temperatures ect ect. Monitor boost pressure before and after the intercooler as well as temperatures. I don’t really want gauges everywhere in the car but I’ll need to monitor everything until I’m finished. So that kinda gives an indication of where I’m heading 👌😎
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Vy commodore

Post by immortality »

Wade wrote: Sat Mar 15, 2025 11:32 pm Plan is to use a belt sander on the intercooler pipes for that seamless look. Just like they do on stainless hand rails and things like that. So I really need to get the gaps and fit just right. Try a get really good penetration, none of my famous bugger welds 😂👌. Then I’ll get all the pipes and brackets powder coated black. Same with the exhaust manifold. I’ll sand and grind that down after welding and then sand blast that to give a uniform look as if it were a factory cast manifold, then get all the hot side ceramic coated black to further help with heat management. But I’m jumping ahead a bit now. I’ve gotta get there first.
My mate did the powder coat thing on the Intercooler pipes for his W2A/A2A setup. Looked really good.
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Vy commodore

Post by Wade »

Thinking something like this printed in some better colours would be a cool touch 😎
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
immortality
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am
cars: VS,VT,VX,VE

Re: Vy commodore

Post by immortality »

Nice!
User avatar
Gareth
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Bacchus Marsh, Vic

Re: Vy commodore

Post by Gareth »

That's pretty cool!!
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Vy commodore

Post by Wade »

Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Vy commodore

Post by Wade »

Not much progress lately as I’ve been sick. But managed to get a little more done. New top intercooler bracket done. And some more progress on the bumper support. Remembered to take a picture of the bar insert that I grinded back to give me clearance for the intercooler.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wade
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:29 pm
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: Vy commodore

Post by Wade »

Had to put a slight dent in the hot side intercooler pipe, to clearance it for the engine crossmember bolt that protrudes through the chassis rail. Ended up just marking it out and chucking it in the press with a socket.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.