1st time tuning, but some small problems

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: 1st time tuning, but some small problems

Post by vlad01 »

sounds exactly what I need. being a stock v6 tune and the engine internally is stock, I bet the external mods are throwing it out a little.

if its knocking at high revs WOT its probably breathing more than bone stock engine.

The AFR table looks right from what I have learned about tuning previously, the ignition map also looks tame to me I think that might be because the VR V6 has higher CR and wouldn't require as much advance? is that correct?

So to me it looks like VE tables falls short at the top end at WOT time to get a WB! :thumbup:
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: 1st time tuning, but some small problems

Post by Jayme »

personally I would have started with the APNZ v6 cal... its a closer fit timing wise, and VE wise, to the VN/VP engines. also the pump shot in the VR is lower so you get a lean stumble occationally from the VR tune.

timing wise, the VN series 1 has the most timing, the VP a little less, and the VR less again, (VS ecotec less again LOL) put it down to cam / head shape / compresion ratio changes...
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: 1st time tuning, but some small problems

Post by vlad01 »

does that base tune have the lean cruise? maybe I can try that instead. the BLCD does feel more sluggish when dumping the throttle compared to the old tune. Old tune revved like a chainsaw but smelled rich and stumbled bad when smashing down the throttle at low rpm in 1st.
User avatar
Jayme
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: North Coast, NSW

Re: 1st time tuning, but some small problems

Post by Jayme »

its the same code base, so yes lean cruise exists, but is turned off.... its just got the settings a lot closer to the VN tune.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: 1st time tuning, but some small problems

Post by vlad01 »

ok great, Ill try that. I know exactly what I have changed so far in the BLCD so I can get that one going in a few min.

First I'll save the current one so I don't loose the changes.

Also I just ordered a new battery for my lappy as it only lasts 5min on full charge. The ebay battery is worst than the original one that was sitting flat for 3+ years. :lol:

30 bucks for the ebay vs 70 for an actual OEM one. I got an OEM one from battery site this time.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: 1st time tuning, but some small problems

Post by vlad01 »

Just loaded the APXN and enabled the lean cruise. check out some of the tables, the spark table looks heaps better.

will load it up to the ECU latter today and test it.

Thanks heaps.
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: 1st time tuning, but some small problems

Post by vlad01 »

ran the APXN and fixed up the lean cruise. worked just like I want now.

the spark map on this tune sure get it up and going, heaps better than before. WOT from 1500rpm to bit over 5k in 2nd, did few runs to be sure. no knock whatsoever. :thumbup:

did a standstill hard launch with drive train preloaded. just got clutch slip for good 10m :lol: woops.
Also tried the low rpm hard launch, didn't seem to stumble at all. Probably all I need is to have the VE tables tweak them selves a little and I should be done with this one.


question whats the APXN, VN series 1 or 2?

how my other question, how do i get some tail pipe crackle on decel? Looked at the decel enleanment setting but kind of lost.

is there a decel fuel cut as well somewhere?
User avatar
VL400
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 am
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)
Location: Perth, WA

Re: 1st time tuning, but some small problems

Post by VL400 »

APNX is VN S1. The calibration settings have been copied over to 12P, which uses VR code as its base.

The1 has written a tool that has all the bins and what they are used in .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/view ... ?f=3&t=905
User avatar
vlad01
Posts: 8549
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: 1st time tuning, but some small problems

Post by vlad01 »

Thanks for the info.

wow that tune is old, what was the reason for that one to be chosen for 12p v111 package?
User avatar
Holden202T
Posts: 10435
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: 1st time tuning, but some small problems

Post by Holden202T »

cause it works best for early motors!